C103. A Glittering Promotion

In the depth of winter, the Spring Festival was drawing near. Minglan intended to write a couplet for herself – The first line of the couplet: Knowing without consulting an oracle. The second line of the couplet: Foretelling with divine accuracy. The horizontal scroll: An excellent fortuneteller.

After the family meeting, Changwu went to Jinling on the following day. The current political situation was changeable. The Jinling Army Headquarters and five garrisons stationed around the city wanted more soldiers to defend the city and protect civilians, so Changwu was welcomed. The officials continuously held five welcoming banquets for Changwu and entertained him with goose and duck. Then Changwu asked for leave and went back to Youyang.

"Sister Minglan, you must have been talking nonsense! I told you there was no war in the south. I have patrolled the city wall for several days but nothing happened. But the rich families in Jinling City are so frightened by the news of war that they have donated generously to the army three times within half a month... Even I got 50 ounces of silver." Changwu threw a heavy cloth bag embroidered with gold thread onto the table and gave a wry smile. For the soldiers who depended on their wages for their livelihood, it was a great income. But as a son of the Sheng family, Changwu was not short of money.

Li shi got nervous when she heard the desire of going north in Changwu's voice, but she didn't know how to persuade him to give up his mind, her forehead oozing sweat with anxiety.

"Brother, take it easy," Minglan said leisurely, "The war broke out last month. The refugees can only travel on foot, so it will take them a long time to arrive in Jinling. Be patient, they will come soon."

"Really?" Changwu looked at Minglan with unbelieving eyes.

Minglan nodded vigorously and mentioned an exemplary deed to encourage him, "In those days Emperor Taizong personally led his army to attack the Wuliangha Tribes. It was the coldest time of winter and the dripping formed into ice at once. He led 100,000 soldiers and patiently waited in the ancient city of Nurgan for two months. He was free from arrogance and impetuosity. Finally, the Wuliangha Tribes took its enemy lightly and sent the crack troops of their tribes to pursue and attack the fleeing enemy. Emperor Taizong seized the chance and wiped them out at one fell swoop. Brother, you have studied military strategy and tactics. If you want to be an excellent high-ranking military officer, you must know that the patience is the most important thing in the battle."

A fine example had boundless power. Changwu was convinced by her argument and went back to Jinling in the evening. At dinner, Li shi enthusiastically put the food into Minglan's bowl with the chopsticks. Kang Yun'er also gave Minglan two chicken drumsticks specially prepared for the pregnant woman.

"Nephew's wife, don't spoil her." Old Madam Sheng smiled, "This girl always talks glibly."

Sheng Wei said with a solemn expression on his face, "I don't think so. What she said is well-founded. These days I visited many influential and rich families of many branches in our town and village and invited their clan elder to my tea party. I have told them to avoid conspicuous consumption during this Spring Festival and buy more grains and firewood for a rainy day. After all, other areas have sunk into chaos."

Sheng Wei had a correct presentiment. Three days later, Changwu asked someone to bring a message to his family: the refugees arrived in Jinling.

Prince Jing had plotted to usurp the throne for a long time. In the past few years he had exploited the civilians ruthlessly because he had been badly in need of large quantities of grains and silver to support his army. Government officials at all levels had followed the example of Prince Jing to squeeze the civilians. Just in the middle of winter, the snow fell thick and heavy. The civilians, who suffered hunger and cold, couldn't endure the hardship anymore. So they had to flee the Anhui Province and became destitute and homeless. The number of refugees increased dramatically in a short time and they traveled to other provinces, including Jiangsu, Henan, Hubei, Jiangxi and Zhejiang.