87. Brother Changbai Has a Good Wife (1)

North winds were whistling at the end of autumn and the start of winter. Because it was still in the period of the national mourning, Molan's hair-do ceremony was held in a low-key way. Wang shi only gave her a new dress, invited a few familiar Madams to attend the ceremony and set up three tables of dishes to entertain the guests. Concubine Lin thought that her daughter was given the cold-shoulder but she dared not kick up a fuss because she knew that the atmosphere of the imperial court was so tense that many nobles and high officials had been punished. At this point, Sheng family should not be extravagant.

For this reason, Concubine Lin felt aggrieved and cried long to Sheng Hong during the night. She showed understanding of this affair pitifully in tears, which brought a sense of guilt to Sheng Hong. He promised her 300 ounces of fine silver so that Molan could buy a piece of pure gold jewelry. That night Concubine Lin repaid Sheng Hong in the bed for his generous gift.

In winter the weather in the capital was much colder than that in Deng Prefecture and Quan Prefecture. The cold wind chilled one to the bone. The servants in Sheng Mansion changed into thick winter clothes one after another. Wisps of steam puffed from their lips and blurred their face. In such a cold day, Minglan would rather tuck herself up in bed with a handwarmer than go outside. But contrary to her expectations, she was invited to Sheng Hong's study.

Old Madam Sheng wrote to say that First Old Madam Sheng was going to die in the following days. Molan was about to negotiate a marriage, so she was unsuitable to attend the funeral. Rulan caught a cold by "accident". Changfeng had to prepare for the exam. Hai shi should stay at Sheng Mansion to take care of Quan. Sheng Hong counted the family members on his fingers, then he asked Minglan to pack up and go to Youyang with Changdong.

Looking at his youngest son and youngest daughter standing in front of him, Sheng Hong felt guilty when he recalled decades of brotherhood with Sheng Wei, who sent several carriages of goods and silvers to him before Spring Festival every year. Now Sheng Wei's mother was going to die, but he only appointed his youngest son and daughter to return to Youyang. Did he go a bit too far?

"It seems...improper. Maybe I should go myself," Sheng Hong hesitated.

"I can understand Father's misgivings." Changbai stood up and made a bow to Sheng Hong, "But nothing seems certain in this crucial period. Now new Emperor has just taken the throne. Father, you are the official of Department of Supervision and there are plenty of opportunities for you here. So it's inadvisable for you to ask for leave now. We can first send Minglan and Changdong to show filial piety to First Old Madam Sheng. If she really... I will ask for some days off and hasten to hometown for the funeral."

Sheng Hong sighed. He knew that Changbai, who worked in Hanlin Academy, would be allowed to take days off. But he was the fourth rank official. If he asked for leave to attend his Aunt's funeral, he would be vilified by other officials.

Changbai looked at his father and comforted, "Father, you need not feel sorry for your absence. Cousin Changwu has asked for leave and will return to hometown. If First Old Madam Sheng really passes away, he should be in mourning for his grandmother. By then you can help him at Court."

His words relieved Sheng Hong's guilt. He smoothed his knitted brow and turned to Minglan and Changdong, "When will you leave?"

Minglan stood up and answered respectfully, "Brother Changwu has hired carriages and boats. He will pick us up in five days."

Sheng Hong nodded and enjoined solemnly, "On the way to Youyang, you two should listen to your cousin. When you arrive in Youyang, you should speak and act cautiously. Remember not to be mischievous and not to trouble your eldest uncle and aunt. And take good care of your grandmother, okay?"

Legend of Concubine's Daughter Minglan 知否知否 应是绿肥红瘦जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें