C101. A Safe Way of Promotion for Military Officers (1)

In October, the first year of Chong De, the fifth branch of Jienu tribe in the North of Xinjiang rioted and rebelled. They gathered the remnants of defeated Tartar troops and aimed at attacking the capital city and its environs. The commander of Jiayuguan sent an urgent memorial to the emperor. Commandery of Five Armies dispatched two troops to support the front. In November of the same year, Prince Jing, the fifth son of Emperor Renzong, plotted a rebellion in his fief, Anhui Province. He personally led 100,000 people, including his private army and the rebellious garrisons, northward to invade the capital city in the name of clarifying confusion and bringing things back to order.

"10,000 people?!" Li shiwas greatly frightened.

Minglan turned to her and soothed, "Aunt, don't panic. It must include cooks, craftsmen and their various relatives. In fact, there must be less than 50,000 real rebels." Cao Cao's army, the so-called "a million bold warriors", in fact had only 200,000-300,000 people.

Changwu stood up from his chair and nodded, "You are right. I have already made some careful inquiries and discovered that there are only 30,000 rebels."

"... I remember that after pacifying the Mutiny of Nine Princes, Emperor Taizong promulgated a decree that the vassals and princes couldn't keep more than 300 private soldiers. Besides, they don't have the ownership and management control of their fief and subjects, and the provincial garrison commander should supervise the vassals and regularly report back to the emperor. How could Prince Jing have gathered 30,000 soldiers in such a short time?" Minglan walked up to Changwu and asked, puzzled.

Changwu gave a bitter smile and answered, "Sister, there are things you do not know. Although the late emperor disliked Prince Jing and conferred the fief on him early in a bid to drive him away, the late emperor was benevolent and magnanimous enough to tolerate his bad behaviors because Prince Jing's biological mother, Imperial Concubine Jia passed away early and the late emperor couldn't bear to have his fifth son suffer hardships outside. Over the years, I often heard at the military camp that Prince Jing had absolute control in West Anhui. Local officials dared not tell on him; instead, they helped and connived with him."

Minglan raised her arched eyebrows and asked another question, "Brother, do you know how Prince Jinghave behaved in his fief?" Changwu went blank and asked, "What... What do you mean?" Minglan quickly replied, "First, tell me how he trained soldiers."

Changwu thought for a while and said, "Prince Jing's mother was the first legal daughter of General Fengguo conferred by the late emperor. After Prince Jingcame to his fief and set up his mansion, General Fengguo sent him many capable persons. Several captains of the guard in his mansion are capable of training soldiers well. But Prince Jingseemed to think more highly of his brothers-in-law. He often took them to the capital and asked the late emperor for weapons, silver and grains."

Minglan queried again, "How did he treat civilians of Anhui Province?"

Changwu shook his head, "Prince Jing had to support so many retinues and soldiers. The feudal lord's salary was not enough to maintain his army, though the late emperor wasgenerous and gave him many treasures. So he had to exploit the civilians. Besides... Many rich and powerful families sent their daughter to the Mansion of Prince Jing and made them his concubines. In this way, the local powerful families joined Prince Jing."

Minglan curled her lips and asked, "Did Prince Jing treat all on an equal footing?" Changwu was stunned by her successive questions. Although her voice was tender, each of her questions hit the nail on the head.

Old Madam Sheng sitting in the left-hand chair frowned with displeasure and scolded, "Minglan, how could you speak like that? You are a girl. Don't ask about political events." Minglan didn't answer back but lowered her head and stood quietly.