C147. The Reverie on the New Year's Eve

Minglan celebrated the simplest Spring Festival on the second year of Chong De. There was no huge feast and only a few fireworks. She even received fewer new clothes than before. However, the simple settings didn't damp down Sheng Hong's excitement. On the New Year's Eve, all the people of the Sheng family gathered together to have the family union dinner and stay up late until midnight.

Since Sheng Hong considered his family a literary family, he wouldn't allow any vulgar programs such as finger-guessing game or cards game happen. According to the custom, Changbai, as the eldest brother, stood up with no expression on his face and recited a poem, "Will there be no New Year's Eve next year? I am afraid time waits for none. Let us enjoy tonight with cheer. So that childhood will no longer run!"

Welcome to click the external link at the bottom to read all of the updated chapters on Flying Lines.

The poem which was written by the famous poet Su Shi was called 'Staying up All Night on New Year's Eve.' and was considered a very motivational and inspiring piece of work.

However, the response from the audiences was quite indifferent. Only the little chubby Quang paid tributes to his dad by dancing with joy and laughed with all his little teeth exposed. Meanwhile, Sheng Hong was having a tic at the muscles around his eyes. Minglan curled the corner of her lips. Rulan was deeply in her thought. Changfeng held the wine cup with his head lowered. Wang shi served the dishes for Old Madam Sheng while rolling her eyes. She almost yelled to the sky—— Now even she could recite this poem!

Changbai really was an unusual man. He had recited this poem on every New Year's Eve with the same contents, same tone, same fluctuation and even the same expression on the face——which was poker-faced.

The first year when Hai shi had married to Changbai, she had stared at her husband with blush on her face and heard him reciting the poem shyly. Now two years had passed, she was looking out of the window as if nothing was happening now, thinking, 'The moon on the New Year's Eve is so big and bright.'

After that, Changfeng recited the poem 'Upon Passing the Imperial Examinations', which was written by Meng Jiao. He finished the last line 'Pleased with the vernal breeze and my swift trotting steed; Ere the day's done, we've all the Chang'an flowers seen.' with perfect cadence. Sheng Hong had stroked his beard while listening to the poem with a smile. However, after Changfeng finished reciting the whole poem, Sheng Hong straightened his face and read Changfeng a lecture, "... Avoid conceit and impetuosity. Do not let your mind wander randomly. And always remember that complacency is the biggest obstacle in studying!"

Changfeng drooped his head with his face brimming over with depression. He was always an uninhibited man who enjoyed a romantic life. Ever since he had passed the examination of the provincial graduate, he had been longing for going out for fun. However, much to his disappointment, he had been grounded by Sheng Hong and could only study in the mansion every day. Finally, the New Year arrived and he thought he could have a chance to amuse himself. Little did he know that Sheng Hong would demand all the people in the mansion to keep extremely low key. Therefore, Changfeng lost his only chance of going out to have a good time.

Minglan totally understood Sheng Yong's intention. It was like the people who won one hundred million prize would move away at the same night. It was a wise choice to keep a low profile when someone attained a great success. At present, the emperor was still investigating the accomplice of the rebels. Lots of the influential officials and the nobles were worried about their own destinies and lived in terror every day. If anyone dared to swagger around, his family might suffer from a serious attack.

Therefore, although Sheng Hong was super delightful deep down, he still needed to put on a sorrowful look and sighed deeply from time to time to express that the happy event of his own family was not worth mentioning and he only wanted the prosperity of the whole nation.