68. Paragon of Daughter in Law (2)

On the second of the twelfth month of the lunar year, Wang Shi invited tailors from Garments of Immortals to measure the children so as to prepare some new outfits. Changbai, without a blink of an eye, chose some dark colors; Changfeng, as usual, picked the most expensive and ethereal materials, while Changdong only dared to choose the most inconspicuous ones...When tailors arrived at where the three sisters lived...

"Why is it so late? Even the servants and maids had their new clothes for the winter, why delay us to now?" Molan asked with much implication while picking casually through the cloth.

Rulan was quite alerted and retorted, "Did you get your new clothes only once for a year? Are you ever short of casual wear? It's delayed only because mother has been busy since we just moved to the capital."

Molan sneered with her mouth covered, "Ah! Why are you so anxious, my sister? I didn't blame anyone...However, from my view, why wouldn't Madam let others help her with some affairs to relieve some of her exhaustion? Wouldn't it be great to let Madam take some rest and get things done timely?"

All this time since they moved to the capital, Wang shi had been extremely busy with social engagement and wedding preparation so naturally some of the family affairs were neglected. Concubine Lin took the chance and proposed to Sheng Hong, claiming that she could help, which Sheng Hong agreed yet Wang shi refused.

Quite clear of Molan's scheme, Rulan sneered, "Stop scheming like this and be a good young lady, then mother will be much relieved."

Molan immediately put on a worried face, "Why saying so, my dear sister? I'm just worried about mother's well-being. Why you call my 'worry' for family 'scheme'? Sixth younger sister, what do you say?"

Minglan then became the target with even Rulan staring at her. Minglan was quite bothered. That was the worst part of a struggle between three girls as she could never be spared whatever the other two argued about.

Pressing her temple to ease the pain, Minglan signed, "Garments of Immortals is the best in capital with high quality and exquisite needlework. Due to the flourishing business, all new clothes for winter are booked earlier in September or October. We came here late, it is lucky that we can still have the chance. The clothes for maids and servants were all roughly made in a hurry. Madam is so considerate to have Garments of Immortals make our new clothes and not willing to make do with ordinary needles so that we can look more decent before sister-in-law."

Molan immediately pulled a long face, "This isn't the only matter. Can we deal with everything in such a haste? Why don't you think about the future, sixth younger sister?"

"The future? By then we have sister-in-law to help us," Minglan smiled.

Molan clenched her teeth secretly out of anger. All in the Sheng family praised that sixth young lady was the most amicable one, who would seldom throw a temper. However, when Minglan truly was involved in argument, Molan could never find any loopholes to repute.

Rulan beamed with smile upon Minglan's words. Taking Minglan's hand, she said gaily, "You're right! Come on, I have quite a few great fabrics. Pick anything you like."

The dowries of Hai family were moved into Sheng Mansion like the flowing water of river as the wedding date approached, which included furniture such as bed, desk, chairs and screens emitting red luster of great value, dozens of cases of cloth, decorations of different varieties, countless title deeds for lands as well as innumerable shops. Minglan was shocked.

"The ten-mile dowries that the ancients talked about could cover everything for the girl, from clothes, money, daily supplies to even shroud. Old Madam had it all." Fang Mama was excited with tangible pride coloring her tone.