C89. A Clean Sweep (1)

When Laifu, who was the steward of Sheng Mansion, came to the entrance of Department of Supervision to look for Sheng Hong, Sheng Hong was planning to go to a restaurant and have a drink with newly-arrived young officials in a bid to make friendly contacts with them and expand his own influence. But Laifu's sudden arrival interrupted his plans, he had to rush back to the Sheng Mansion.

Molan was locked up so that Concubine Lin couldn't collude with her daughter or play a trick. So Concubine Lin decided to wait at the gate of Sheng Mansion and take the initiative to complain tearfully about Wang shi's favoritism. But Hai shi was one step ahead of Concubine Lin. She had ordered Laifu to lead Sheng Hong into Sheng Mansion through a side entrance. Therefore, Sheng Hong went straight to the House of Clear Dusk to see Minglan.

After entering the door, Sheng Hong saw Minglan leaning back on the soft couch with a clear handprint on her white face. She seemed to be frightened, trembling in fear and shedding tears quietly, her fingers grasping his sleeves tightly. An articulate maid came up and narrated what had happened to Minglan with tears. Sheng Hong's face clouded over when he looked around at this messy room and saw broken cups and broken bowls scattered all over the floor.

"Where is Molan?" Sheng Hong asked seriously.

Hai shi curtsied to Sheng Hong and answered in a low voice, "Concubine Lin was afraid that Molan would be wronged, so she tried desperately to stop Madam taking Molan away. Without any other means, I took Molan to my room and waited for you to arbitrate this dispute."

Sheng Hong nodded with satisfaction. But then when he recalled the resentment between Wang shi and Concubine Lin, he showed hesitation on his face and wondered if it was a trick. Hai shi glanced at him and said softly, "I arrived at the House of Clear Dusk so late that I didn't know clearly about this incident. Father, you can ask Molan what really happened so as to avoid wronging her."

Sheng Hong agreed with her. He asked the maids to take good care of Minglan, and then walked out. Hai shi immediately went after him and called Dangju and Luzhi to go with her. Soon they came to the main house. By this time, Hai shi had already arranged everything.

Inside the main room, Wang shi sat in the host seat, stroking her chest and gasping for air, Liukun's wife standing beside her. Concubine Lin, Molan, Changfeng, Concubine Xiang and Changdong stood in the middle of the room. There was no servant in the room, only a few loyal servants standing at the door. Sheng Hong knew the truth that domestic shame should not be published, so he secretly praised Hai shi's cautious arrangements in mind.

Sheng Hong walked in without saying a word. When Concubine Lin, who was wiping her tears with a handkerchief, saw Sheng Hong passing by, she reached out and tried to grab his arm while crying, "Master--" Before she finished her words, Hai shi took a step forward and pulled Concubine Lin back, smiling, "Master specially put his important business aside and rushed back to deal with this incident, just let him talk first."

Concubine Lin said in a trembling voice, her eyes filled with tears, "Young Madam, can't I speak? I just want to defend my daughter. I can't bear to see her wronged."

Hai shi smiled with a gentle expression on her face, "Today I invited you all here to make things clear to Master. We are of the same family tied by flesh and blood. Everything can be solved. If some of you did something wrong, Master will make a proper disposition. If it is just a misunderstanding, we can sort it out and resume harmony. But Concubine Lin, I heard that you arrived there after Madam as I did. I'm afraid that you also didn't know what happened between Molan and Minglan. So now... What do you want to say?"

Concubine Lin choked up. Though Hai shi hadn't said anything about the conflict between Molan and Minglan, all her hopes were shattered. Now she was even not in a position to cry out grievances for her daughter.