C111. The Good News After the National Mourning

After the year-long national mourning, noble families in the capital put away the white lampshades at their gates. The Emperor had taken deterrent measures to get the noblemen under control. Afterwards he succeeded in suppressing the rebellion. The authority of the Emperor grew day by day. So, although the playboys of noble families in the capital had an itch to have romantic relationships, they dared not to act recklessly.

A month or two later, the Emperor granted marriages to several men of imperial clan. The aristocrats finally felt relieved and had the courage to do what they wanted. Some of them took concubines; some of them took wives; some who wanted to pursue pleasure in brothels changed into inconspicuous clothes and wore big hats before going to the brothels.

Old Madam Sheng fulfilled her promise. She set up a table of dishes and promoted Jufang to concubine ten days after Jufang had had an abortion. Wang shi was friendly and gave Jufang a red packet containing money as a gift. Then the new concubine was placed in Wang shi's house, living with Concubine Xiang and Concubine Ping. When Concubine Fang saw Changdong going in and out of the house with a satchel, she recalled her poor stillborn baby and her hatred towards Concubine Lin increased.

Concubine Fang couldn't sleep with Sheng Hong because she was still in the period of recuperation. But she pleased him by stroking, kissing and flattering him skillfully. Then she shed tears and showed her grief of losing their child. Under the influence of Concubine Fang, Sheng Hong detested Concubine Lin.

A few days later, Marquis Yongchang Household had the matchmaker come to the Sheng Mansion and present gifts to finalize the betrothal. Wang shi regarded Molan as the bane of the Sheng family and wished to marry off her as soon as possible. The dowry had already been prepared. Lady Chunge had been pregnant for several months. If she gave birth to a child before the wedding day, it would be a complete disgrace to Marquis Yongchang Household. So the two families discussed and fixed up the dates. Marquis Yongchang Household would send betrothal gifts and money over to the Sheng family on June 28th and the wedding day was set for July 8th.

After the wedding date was finalized, Molan took action. She badgered Hai shi into allowing her to see Sheng Hong on the pretext of expressing her gratitude for his love and care. Hai shi turned her down. But Molan put pressure on Hai shi in the name of filial duty. At last Hai shi had to give in. As soon as Molan saw Sheng Hong, she began to cry and expressed penitence for her unfilial behaviors. Then she showed her remorse for having given him such a lot of trouble. Finally, she sobbed and interceded for Concubine Lin.

"Father, I'm going to marry Liang Han. For the sake of Marquis Yongchang Household, please bring Concubine Lin back. She gave birth to me and brought me up. No matter what mistakes she made, I wish she can see me off on my wedding day." Molan knelt before Sheng Hong, crying pitifully and putting on a play about her deep affection for Concubine Lin.

However, Sheng Hong sneered, "Madam is making arrangements for your wedding. Old Madam has proposed the marriage for you and got your dowry ready. If you have a conscience, you should express your gratitude to them... Concubine Lin was punished because she violated our domestic discipline. Although you will marry into Marquis Yongchang Household, I won't a bsolve your mother for their sake. If you really miss your mother, I will tell Madam Liang that you are weak and often ill, and cancel the marriage. By then you can go to the village estate and live with your mother."

Molan was shocked and looked at Sheng Hong with disbelief. She didn't know that Sheng Hong had been listening to them behind the curtain when Old Madam Sheng had interrogated her that day. And she was unaware that Jufang had blackened Concubine Lin's name in front of Sheng Hong these days.

Sheng Hong scolded Molan for poor moral integrity and then asked Hai shi to take Molan away and keep her under close supervision.

Molan was not reconciled to her defeat, so she burst out of her house again. In general, no matter what a big mistake the bride-to-be made, her family would tolerate her mistake and pardon her. But this time Wang shi acted heartless. She directly tied Yunzai (Molan's maid) up, flogged her hard and sold her. Molan cried, tugged at Hai shi's sleeve and asked her to bring Yunzai back.

Hai shi was unable to deal with Molan. So Wang shi had someone pass on a message to Molan, "Maids should take the responsibility of their lady's mistakes. Lady, if you kick up a row again, Madam will sell Luzhong. If you don't behave well, Madam will drive your maids out of the Sheng Mansion, such as Bitao, Furong, Qiujiang... Before the wedding, Madam will choose some good maids for you so that you can take them to Marquis Yongchang Household." Molan looked at her maids kneeling around her, gritted her teeth and dared not make a scene anymore.

In fact, the married woman and her family influenced each other. Her parents would be laughed at for their incapability if they stood by when their daughter was bullied. But if the married woman had no respect for her elders, she would be regarded as an unfilial and disobedient child. Wang shi was included in the list of Molan's elders, but Concubine Lin wasn't.

Wang shi always acted in a tyrannous manner. In spite of numerous defeats, she didn't change her bossy nature. So she was not afraid that Molan would kick up a row. The reputation of the Sheng family had been salvaged because Marquis Yongchang Household had come to the Sheng Mansion and presented gifts to finalize the betrothal. If Molan continued to make trouble, Wang shi would like to break off the engagement.

Molan understood Wang shi's determination, so she showed some restraint and obediently stayed in the House of Mountain Moon, waiting for the wedding day.

June 28th was an auspicious day. On this day, Marquis Yongchang Household sent betrothal gifts and money over to the Sheng Mansion. Besides, many noble families performed marriages. The Left Assistant Minister of Revenue married off his daughter. The son of the Right Imperial Censor of Department of Supervision got marry, and the son of Princess Fuan married his second wife... And Grand Secretary Shen Shiqi and Duke Qi Household became related by marriage.

Sheng Hong attended the wedding feast of his superior's son and went back to the Sheng Mansion at nightfall. After changing into casual clothes, he went to the study. When Sheng Hong pushed the door open, Changbai, who sat at the table, immediately stood up and made a bow to his father. Sheng Hong nodded to him with satisfaction and asked in a teasing tone, "You returned from Duke Qi Household early. Were the dishes of the wedding banquet not tasty?"

Changbai answered calmly, "The dishes were tasty but Mother kept a gloomy face." Sheng Hong frowned and went straight to the desk. Then he pulled up the lower hem of his gown, sat down in a chair and said, "You mother gets angry at Junzhu Pingning because of Rulan's unsuccessful marriage. But in my view, she has made mistakes."

Changbai remained unmoved. He walked to the tea table beside the desk, poured a cup of warm strong tea from a purple clay teapot with patterns of pine, bamboo and plum blossom, and steadily handed the teacup to Sheng Hong before he said, "As a son, I shouldn't talk about Mother's fault. To be honest, I think that it's not Yuanruo's fault." He seemed to mean that it was all Junzhu Pingning's fault. But in fact, he blamed Wang shi implicitly.

Sheng Hong was thirsty after drinking the wine at the wedding feast. So he took the teacup and drank it up, and then nodded, "Qi Heng is a good man. Thanks to his warning a few days ago, I didn't sign my name on Lord Yan's memorial. Yesterday I went to visit Old Lord Lu and confirmed that it was true.".... Click below external links to see the whole chapter