C1 - When One Gets Promoted, Some Die... And Some Enter Another World

The watchman's clappers began to strike the bell, signaling that the hour of Xu [1] had begun. Lights are ignited one after another in the Sheng Household of the Quan Prefecture. In the west courtyard's central building [2], sitting at the top seat in the main hall [3] was an old lady with gray hair. In her hands were prayer beads that matched her plain attire, which was rather contradictory to her elegant and luxurious surroundings. Currently, in this room, sitting at her right was the head of the house, Sheng Hong.

"May our ancestors be blessed and be protected. This time, this son's achievements are excellent. The imperial decree for my promotion should be announced at the end of the month."

Since it was already early summer, Sheng Hong was dressed in a red ochre summer jacket made out of chiffon silk with wide slits in the sleeves. He spoke to his mother with dignity and reverence.

"Your endurance all these years outside has not been in vain. It is difficult to be promoted to a sixth ranked official [4]. Now you may be considered a mid-ranked official. Do you have some idea of where you will likely be posted?" Old Madam Sheng's tone sounds tranquil, with hardly any emotion colouring her tone.

"Geng Shishu [5] has already sent a letter to inform me that I shall become the Zhizhou [6] of Deng Prefecture." Sheng Hong had always been cautious in his conduct, yet now his current words could not help but exude a hint of delight.

"I really must congratulate Master, then. Usually the position of Zhizhou is only given to fifth rank officials. We ought to not only thank our ancestors' merit, but also those who have helped in paving your path." Old Madam Sheng said.

"That is only natural. This son has already drafted a gift list for the several uncles [7] in the capital. Mother, please look through it." Sheng Hong took out a few sheets of paper from his sleeve and handed it to the maid standing by the side.

"After all these years, looks like Master is finally starting to get proficient in handling affairs. Go according to your decision, but bear these words in mind, 'friendship between gentlemen, insipid as water.' [8] Money should be earned the right way and etiquette must be thorough. Relationships should neither be servile nor overbearing, but acquaintances must be maintained. Those daren [9] that have been around the officialdom their entire life, check each and every one of them with discerning eyes. Over the past few years, they have cared for you; it's true that they do this partially on the account of your late father's friendship with them. But the real reason why they are willing to help is because you are also working hard." After a few more sentences, Old Madam Sheng began to gasp. By the side, Fang Mama [10] immediately carried a teacup and put it close to Old Madam's mouth, her other hand follow along and gently patted Old Madam's back.

Upon seeing this, Sheng Hong was frightened and hurriedly said, "Mother must take care of yourself, by any means. If it wasn't for Mother's nurturing, this son wouldn't be where I am today. At that time, if it were not for Mother's virtuousness, right now, this son would only be capable of passing his days at the countryside. This son ought to be filial to Mother."

Old Madam Sheng did not speak, seemingly in a daze. After some time she said, "You can't say that, this is not just a matter of being virtuous or not virtuous. This is merely because of the affection I had for your father. In any case, it is not good to let his tomb be desolate a century later. Fortunately... You have been hardworking." Gradually, her voice weakened until it became too soft to be heard.

Sheng Hong did not dare to reply and the hall went silent for a moment. Then Sheng Hong said, "Mother upheld the Sheng Family all year round, it is certain that you will continue to have good fortune in the future. For the time being, relax and get some proper rest..." He glances around the surroundings and frowns at what he sees. "Mother's place is too plain and unadorned, almost as if this was a monastery. Mother, listen to this son's words, there are other ordinary Old Madams who abstain from eating meat and pray to Buddha, yet live in extravagance. Mother, why do you treat yourself thus? If others were to see this, they would think that this son is not filial."