C91. Causes and Effects (1)

In the evening, Sheng Hong and Wang shi came to console Minglan. Wang shi stroked Minglan's face and looked at her with loving eyes. Minglan felt a bit uncomfortable because of Wang shi pretending to be a tender legal mother. Sheng Hong was really concerned about Minglan. He gently said many caring words to his youngest daughter. In return, Minglan defended for Molan with watery eyes. First, she showed her concern to Sheng Hong and hoped he would calm himself down. Second, she defended Molan's actions and regarded her lunacy as an impulse behavior caused by misunderstandings. Sheng Hong was very touched by Minglan's mercy. He felt himself successful in cultivating Minglan's moral values. So he stroked his beard and praised Minglan for her kindness.

Minglan confessed to the Buddha in mind. She knew that she shouldn't tell a lie but to survive, she had to because the ancients favored tender and virtuous girls.

Hai shi persuaded Wang shi to drop out of the follow-up. The next day Wang shi gave Hai shi a free hand with household matters on the pretext of getting ill. Hai shi first arrested the servants who had taken part in the clash between Wang shi and Concubine Lin that day and had guards whip each of them twenty times. Then according to Hai shi's commands, Liu Kun's wife led a group of people to search their bedrooms and found many golds, silvers and jewels. Hai shi claimed that she would send them to the local government and accused them of stealing their masters' property. The servants panicked and immediately shifted responsibilities to one another. At last, the stewards and servants who were loyal to Concubine Lin were all dragged down. Hai shi punished these servants on the basis of their different crimes. Some were married to lowly manservants, some were sold, and the rest were all driven away to the village estates for labor.

Within one day, the servants of the Forested Pavilion were replaced by new ones. Concubine Lin meant to make a scene; unexpectedly Hai shi gave a meaningful smile and directly threatened, "Some improper things were also found in the room of Xia Xian's wife. But considering that she is your favorite servant, I haven't reported it to Madam." Xueniang, who was Xia Xian's wife, turned pale at once. She knelt down straightly and looked at Concubine Lin with pleading eyes. Concubine Lin trembled with anger, but dared not make a scene.

Ruomei heard all these things from other servants and told Minglan in detail, "Now Concubine Lin only has Xia Xian's wife and Ma Gui's wife by her side. Her other trusted servants were all driven out of Sheng Mansion. As for third young master and fourth young lady's houses, only a few gossipy maids were driven away. The others all begged me to keep their belongings for the time being in case Young Madam would make a second thorough search. I only agreed to help two honest and trustable maids and brought back some common belongings. Lady, if you think it's improper, I will send them back at once."

Minglan sat on the warm brick bed with her arms on a small table. "That's all right. I think Young Madam won't make a search again." Hai shi's purpose was to assume the reins of power in Sheng Mansion. Molan was about to wed, so it was not worthwhile for Hai shi to offend Molan. Changfeng had his own father and mother, as his sister-in-law, Hai shi shouldn't interfere in his affairs.

They chatted for a while before Rulan's maid, Xique, came here. Minglan was about to leave for Youyang the next day, so Rulan asked Xique to invite Minglan to her house for a chat. Before Minglan spoke, Ruomei couldn't help complaining, "How supercilious Lady Rulan is! She wants to give my lady a send-off, but she isn't coming to our house; instead, she asks Lady Minglan to visit her. Where she gets that strange notion I just can't think."

Xique explained embarrassedly, "Our lady... She has a cold." Just as the words fell from her lips, Ruomei, Dangju and Yancao all burst out laughing. Xiaotao said frankly with a puzzled expression on her face, "Since Lady Rulan has a cold, why does she call our lady to her house? What if our lady gets a cold from her? You know, even a slight illness will cause a bad journey."