Stage Bruises

"It's just...it's scary." Kaycee whispered, looking down. Her head sunk lower into the pillow below her.

"Hey, hey, look at me." Sean tilted her chin up. "It's okay. It's not real." 

"I know it's not, but it's just a scary thought." She frowned, tears pricking the corners of her eyes. "Just like looking in the mirror and seeing that." 

All of Kaycee's off behavior started a few days ago. It was a few days ago when they got their costuming for a duet they were doing. It was a duet surrounding the story of a toxic relationship, portrayed by the most loving and healthy relationship known to their dance company. Their costuming and makeup was horrifyingly realistic; the cuts, the bruises, all of it. 

"We can bow out if we want to. It's just a guesting performance. I don't want to make you uncomfortable, Love." Sean whispered. He took her fingers from the strings of the hoodie she was messing with, and started rubbing her knuckles. 

"No, I don't want to quit on them, I just...I don't know." She sighed. "It doesn't even matter, I'm just tired." Kaycee shut her eyes, but opened them again when Sean kissed her forehead. 

"Hey, don't try to sleep your way out of this." He chuckled gently. "I can call Brandon in the morning, and we can get out of this." 

"No!" Kaycee basically shrieked. "I don't want to get out of it, I'm just saying it's scary to see you like that, because--" 

"Are you saying that you're scared it could be real?" Sean asked. 

"I mean..." Kaycee's hands went back to the hoodie strings, and her eyes dropped as well. 

"I'd never hit you, My Love. Never. It's just makeup, Babe, you know that." Sean kissed her lips. 

"I know...I know, I'm just being stupid." She shook her head. 

"No, you're not being stupid. You're being realistic. I just don't want doing this piece to scare you." 

"No, it won't. I just wasn't ready. I'm okay." Kaycee sighed. "Goodnight, Sean." She kissed his lips. 

"Goodnight, Kaycee, My Love." Sean smiled. "Sweet dreams."

~~~~~

The Nutcracker time crunch is real