Questions

Çakal exploded on Yigit when he learned of Polens pregnancy. Yigit, mildly taken aback by his fathers aggressive response, soon composed himself and watched his father rant and rave at the stupidity of his her. It was nothing that Yigit hadn't heard before. In fact Yigit had grown so accustomed to his fathers displeasure if anything he did that it no longer phased him as it did when he was younger. When his mother lay on her deathbed, Çakal Ihsan was in another woman's bed. He didn't want to deal with the death of his wife. She was no longer of any use to him. He knew his father was a cold and heartless man, he had learned that at a young age as he watched his mother slip into a deep sleep and then leave him alone forever. She had been kind and generous even under the heavy handedness of his father. Once a beauty of the royal court, she had attracted the attention of the young and ambitious commoner Çakal. He was not accepted at all by her father. Aysun quickly fell in love with the handsome and manipulative Çakal and her fate was sealed when he made her his and returned an impregnated Aysun to her very angry father. He had no choice but to give Aysun in marriage to Çakal. He had treated both Yigit and her well enough in front of the court and all those that he wished to gain political alliances with but behind closed doors however he was controlling, jealous and violent. He never laid a hand on either of them that would cause a bruise to show or an injury to be noticeable enough to cause questions. Aysun took the brunt trying to protect her son until she was so beaten down she rarely left her rooms. Yigit remembered all of his pain and the loss of the only person who had loved him unconditionally. Turning to look at his father as he wildly looked about the room to find something else to destroy Yigit stood up and played his cards. "Father, what is it you really want. An heir will be born to me in nine months. You will have set your legacy. I do not understand why this betrothal with the Aydin girl must persist". He wanted to know what was behind it all. He knew that the marriage to a well to do Merchant's daughter, a lower nobleman of which Nihat was; would give them connections, money and prestige. But he could have arranged that with any number of nobleman. There was something else behind his actions there always was. He would have to be more observant and ask the right questions in order to figure it out. "Çakal stalked up to Yigit and fisted his hands in his tunic and spat the words to his son that confirmed his earlier assumptions. "You have no idea what that girl is worth to me. You are nothing more than just a means to an end and so is she. You will marry the Aydin girl and you will find a solution to Polen's bastard. For if you do not I will not hold my hand against you and you know that I speak the truth". Çakal's eyes blazed as they bore into Yigit's clearly agitated ones. He held his fathers gaze long enough to merit a shove from Çakal. His father commanded him to leave with the express instructions to handle his mess before he had to do it for him. Yigit walked out of his fathers chambers and left the governors palace.

He had already arranged to meet Polen at the Royal Palace gardens so that they could talk in private while in public. He knew his fathers spy's would not be there and that she would be safe, but not for long. He sat in silence in the carriage and knew that the answer to this puzzle must have something to do with Nihat Aydin or his family and not Sanem. For a brief moment he was bothered at not being able to pursue that particular woman the way that he had imagined it. But that had changed with the knowledge of Polens pregnancy. He would not allow his father to harm Polen or the child. It was not merely to thwart his father, which would give him great pleasure and satisfaction; but it was because he remembered his mother and her love for him. He wanted a family like he might have had if his father had been someone else. He wanted to be that for this child as yet unborn and the only way to do that was to remove Polen from his fathers sight. That was going to be a problem because what she wanted was to be seen as his by all and that included his father. He would have to be wise and tread carefully in order to achieve his own ends.

Polen waited nervously for Yigit. She hoped that all would go well but she also knew that the governor was an evil man and that if he felt that in some way she had gotten in the way of his plans she might become a target rather than a blessing. She saw him approach her and waited for him to ask if he could sit by her. "Yigit, I've been so nervous and anxious. What did he say. Is he happy or displeased?" Yigit looked at her lovely face and then her completely clothed and covered belly and slowly measured his words before speaking. "My father wants me to cut you off and get rid of the child. He will not tolerate his plans to be altered in any way." He watched her as she took in his words. She was emotional and he could see the amount of self control that it took her to remain calm and seated when he knew she wanted to scream and jump up and beat his chest with her fists. "I see. Should I be worried for my safety and the safety of your unborn heir". Yigit realized that she knew precisely what he meant without having to spell it out. "Yes indeed. However I tell you this now so that you may trust and not doubt in my word. You will be my wife and you will bear me an heir. I will not marry the Aydin girl and I will take my fathers power away from him. He hides something that he feels will give him greater power than he has now. I do not know what it is yet but when I do I will use it to break him once and for all". Polen watched as Yigit's eyes turned dark and his body shook with suppressed rage. She felt a little frightened. "What do you mean by break him. How would you be able to take his power away from him. He has that seat for life unless he is convicted of high treason". Yigit heard her words and they echoed in his mind as he recalled a conversation he had walked in on several years ago. It had to do with Mitat Aydin during the time that Aziz Bey had been arrested and tried for treason. His father had been speaking to a man that was obscured to him because of where he stood by the wall. The man reminded his father that he needed to deal with Aydin and "make him disappear" because if not the plot would backfire and it would be he who would live out his days in the dungeons below the city. "Yigit. Yigit are you listening to me. I said ..... "I heard you. Please do not worry. I want you to go home. I have to meet with someone. Once I'm done I will send you a message of where to meet me with your mother. He took off his chain that he wore around his neck with an amulet that belonged to his mother. "Do not respond to any message that does not include this" He said it while he handed her the necklace.... "For it surely will not be from me and then you will be in grave danger. Do you understand me." At that he kissed the knuckles of her hand and bowed to her as he left her seated on the bench in the gardens. She watched him walk away and as a shiver ran down her spine she felt fear at the seriousness of his words and at how he had spoken about his father. She would need to be careful and and be cautious with every word and action she took from now on.