Chapter 39

Your foot tapped impatiently as the car moved quietly through dawn. Jimin glanced over, concerned. He placed a gentle hand on your shoulder, but kept his eyes on the road. He wanted to practice his driving and it might not have been a good idea to let him practice with such a long distance but you gave in to his sparkling eyes. "Noona, it'll be fine." he assured.

"Eomma is going to kill me." you stated through chattering teeth.

"She'll understand. It was all a misunderstanding." he emphasized. "I think she'll only be upset that you haven't told her about your relationship."

You sighed, pressing your back deeper into the car seat. It was fortunate that you got your car back in time for your vacation. Director Song was gracious enough to give you and the staff a whole week off for Christmas and New Years. It would be your first real break in years and you couldn't wait to spend time with your family back home. The hardest part was leaving Namjoon back in the city, especially now that he's not on talking terms with his family. He said he'll be fine spending time with the cousins on Jeju island. You both did promise to see each other sometimes on Christmas, but the details haven't been fully finalized yet. When you last saw him, he held you tight for 10 minutes. His scent engraved on your clothes, that's the privilege of being his girlfriend, officially.

But consolidating the relationship also came with its burdens, specifically the task of telling your mother, who has hated Namjoon as much as she has hated his father. Even if it's only a misunderstanding, she wouldn't easily forgive the boy who broke her daughter's heart, one that she spent 9 months creating. She was also there through the tears, the silent cries, the muffled nightmares. It seemed like you have betrayed her by loving him once more. Jimin consoled by saying he'll take the beating for you.

Cold weather made the restaurant a popular destination for all meals of the day. When you and Jimin arrived, you both were sucked into helping take orders and bring food out. There was no official welcome back, there were nods of acknowledgment and smiles of gratitude instead. Everything was the same, the same metal chairs, came stains on the wall. Your parents had the same energy, but the cold weather shrunk them a little. Guilt rose up in you, you hated being away from them and unable to care for them the way they cared for you. Whenever they call or you would visit, they always assured that they were fine and happy that you and Jimin were happy.

The customers settles into a quieter phase where they're only focused on eating. It gave you a chance to finally greet your parents. Your mother smelled of chives and seafood, it was the smell of home. "I've missed you so much." you exhaled.

"I've missed you too, I'm so happy you're home." When you laughed, she noticed a change. "Did something good happen?" she questioned. She always knew you forced a smile around her whenever you visit to ease her worriedness, it was the first time she heard your true laugh in so long. Jimin made a noise, almost like a choking sound, as he was talking to your father.

You chuckled nervously, "Um, we can talk about this later."

She nodded slowly, "Whatever it is, I'm glad your smile is back. I've been praying for you to be happy ever since that asshole left you." Once again, Jimin choked. "Son, are you okay?" He nodded and took a long sip of water.

"Eomma, don't call him that. I think there was a misunderstanding..." you countered.

"What misunderstanding?" she scoffed. "Him and his father are of the same superficial breed and I'm glad you'll never see him again."

"Eomma, that's enough." you mumbled. She never missed a chance to insult him, probably as a way to insult Haneul as well.

"What is it that you're not telling me?" she asked loudly. Her eyes narrowed in on you, stripping you of the defense you had ready. Now you were exposed, there was nothing you could hide from her. This scenario has been played out in your head millions of times before this moment. And in none of those scenarios did you or Jimin made it out alive.

"There is something I need to tell you," you began, inhaling what might be your last breath. "But first, I'm gonna need you to put down the big knife." She did as told, and leaned her body against the counter. "I met him again."

"Who?" she asked rhetorically, knowing exactly who you're talking about.

"Namjoon." you answered. You saw her body tensed up and your father grunted in the back.

"Why?" she asked calmly.

"He's a client for Reino and we're holding an exhibition for him." you explain.

"Go on," she nodded, there was a plot twist to it, and she was prepared.

"I-We both realized that his mother sabotaged our relationship. She wrote a letter to him and pretended that it was me. It said that I was only with him because of his money, and that's why he held resentment towards me."

"That doesn't explain the voice recording." she argued.

"His mother hired someone to manipulate his voice, he never said those things."

"And he told you all of those things?" she asked, arms folded. When you nodded, she let out a loud sigh. "You're still as naive as ever." she said bitterly.

"Eomma," it was Jimin, his heart was pounding like yours. "I've met with him too, he's truly genuine and he loves Noona."

"Love?" she retorted. "Those people know nothing about love. I knew your sister would fall for the lies, but I expected better from you Jimin. I told you to watch over her for me."

"And I did." he yelled. "I watched her cry for years, and now she's finally happy. Namjoon hyung isn't the bad guy here, eomma."

"Eomma," you pleaded, grabbing her hand, "I want to be with him, and he wants the same thing. Please accept it."

Her face shifted, and you were hoping it would be a good sign. But you were wrong. "Give me your phone."

"What?"

"I will not allow you to see him anymore. I'll call your director to assign someone else to work with him."

"Eomma!" you exclaimed.

"That's final." She slammed her hand down on the counter, it made a loud boom. "Or else I'll make you quit Reino."