Chapter 13

For the most part, dinner went well. No one really paid attention to you, except for Namjoon and Irene who both checked occasionally if you felt fine or not. The adults talked business amongst themselves, but every once in awhile, his mother would glare at you discreetly without Namjoon's noticing. You responded with a wide smile, she would not get to you the same way Namjoon's grandmother did to your mom.

The man said something to her that made her face softened in ways you didn't think was possible. It must be him, her husband, and the one that broke your mom's heart. His features were sharps, you could see where Namjoon got his handsomeness from. It wouldn't have been hard for your mom to fall for him as well. His mother laughed at something he said and a part of you felt angry. It should have been your mother beside him, not that woman. But then again, if it had been her, you and Namjoon wouldn't be here.

"So Y/N," the man with the high class face asked, "Are you in school?"

"Yes, I'm an art student." you answered.

"Art," he repeated. "I see. Namjoon seems to have a type."

Namjoon bit his cheek and threw his fist in a threatening way towards Seokjin. "Shut up. She's the first girl I've ever dated." he spouted. You dropped your fork.

"Wait, seriously?" you blurted. He hadn't mentioned it before and for some reason you thought he was loaded with experiences. He nodded shyly, the blush forming. You laughed softly and patted his back.

"At least he with someone he actually likes." the smaller man beside Seokjin sighed. Then together, the two of them looked into the distance with great despair. It must be hard being rich, arranged marriage was still the norm. Luckily, Namjoon wouldn't allow that.

"What does your family do?" Seokjin asked. Irene casted a disapproving look at her brother, but he only shrugged. He didn't mean any harm.

"My parent runs a small restaurant," you answered, and avoided going into specific details. Namjoon did not get the memo.

"Her mom makes the best oxtail soup." he added.

Yoongi groaned and plopped his fork down to the table, it made a thump but the adults were too busy chatting to notice. "I could go for some oxtail soup right now. I'm sick of this food."

You stared down at your plate, controlling the saliva. It was premium beef imported from Japan. You will probably never have the chance to eat this again, and Yoongi complains because he's forced to eat it everyday. Rich people really are something else. "I'll make you some when you're craving it." you teased. The man closed his eyes and nodded satisfyingly.

Beside you, Namjoon cleared his throat and moved his body centimeters away from you. It indicated that something was wrong. You propped your elbow up to the table and rested your head on it, giving him a look of amused. He huffed then looked away. "What's wrong you big baby?"

He didn't appreciate the nickname, but it still made his heart flutter. "You never make me food." he mumbled. Ah, so this is what it's like for someone to get jealous. You reached out and poke his dimple.

"You have a whole life ahead of you to enjoy the food I make. Don't be jealous of your cousin."

A whole life ahead, Namjoon thought about it for a few seconds then kicked his feet excitedly under the table like a puppy. His smile wouldn't contain itself and soon, he was grinning. It was cute for a while, but then it got disturbing. He would not stop smiling. You poked his dimple again for him to notice. His composure changed. "I won't be jealous if you give me a kiss."

"Yah, there are people around. No one wants to see you two being all lovey-dovey." Seokjin commented, spitting out his words like fire. Honestly, Seokjin would probably be successful as a rapper.

Namjoon ignored him and turned his attention back to you. "I'm waiting," he challenged. "You won't like it when I'm fully jealous."

"What does that mean?"

"Since you won't kiss me, I guess you'll find out." he winked. Boys with pretty face are bewildering, you shuddered. But the hair on your neck raised once more, a piercing gaze was directed at you. His mother had been watching the interaction and the corner of her mouth twitched anytime you touched Namjoon or when he would smile at you as if you were the only thing on this planet. She knew her son well, that he was completely falling for you. But unfortunately, she will never allow that to continue.

"So Y/N," she called out, her voice a champagne cool, "Where is your restaurant? I would love to visit with some business partners?"

"I appreciate the support, but I don't believe it would be to your exquisite taste." you said through gritted teeth. You could not imagine the apocalypse that would happen if she was in the same room as your mother.

"Nonsense, I love all food, no matter how low quality it is." she jabbed. That comment didn't get past Namjoon either, who narrowed his eyes on her while grabbing your hand tightly under the table.

"Eomma, the food there is wonderful. Probably better than anything I've ever had here." he remarked. "Besides, it's the place appa recommended."

Fuck, you thought, Pandora's box was happening.

"Oh?" his mother questioned, turning to her husband skeptically. "And what place is this?" But the man didn't answer. The color drained from his face as his mouth dropped slowly. He snapped his head towards you, waves of fear crashing in his eyes. You swallowed your own dismay back.

"Areum." he whispered. His wife tilted her head, confused with what her husband was trying to say. "You're Areum's daughter."

"Areum?" she repeated. The word was familiar to her, it brought back some strange anger and anxiety. Then her shoulders hitched up and for the first time tonight, the disgust on her face was apparent and not hidden behind the veil of plastic smile. Namjoon noticed the change instantly, and it made him worried. The air felt tight and everyone at the table lost their appetite.

The woman recognized that you're the daughter of her husband's first love, and probably the only woman he ever loved. It brought back panic in her body, like from all those years ago. She had to do so much to get her husband. She looked directly at you, crushing all the confidence and hopes you had harbored of being with Namjoon. She was not going to let you take her son away from her. The battle was far from over.