Chapter 23

The ember expanded in your body until it became a fire that enveloped you. "Hot," you called out. The world had become a collage of shapes and colors rather than anything tangible. Your body felt heavy and disorientated. Luckily, the man held you close. Your brain wouldn't work correctly to tell you how incredibly dangerous and wrong the situation was. "It's hot." you said again, but this time your voice came out almost like a moan, which enticed the man further. His grip around your waist tightened.

"We're almost there, baby." he assured, the thought of peeking at what's underneath your dress in the taxi cab aroused him. He couldn't believe how easy it was, his eyes had been set on you for quite some time now, and the opportunity just fell out of the sky. He enjoyed the flush of your cheeks and the floral fragrance bouncing off your body. A few patrons in the restaurant gave concerning looks as you two walked by, but said nothing because they didn't want to disturb their own pleasant night. All except one, at least.

The cool air of winter washed over you as stood outside, waiting for the cab to arrive. The man impatiently tapped his foot as the yellow car appeared. He hastily helped you, more like shoved you in, before getting in and unbuckling his belt. You rested your head on the door, hoping that it would stop pounding. Just as the taxi was pulling away, the door was yanked open and the man went flying outside.

"What the fuck?" he yelled, his back lying flat against the pavement. Namjoon hovered over the man, chest puffing. A crowd of people began to gather. That was the last thing on his mind. He pulled the man's body up by his collar, the man once again was lifted into the air like a feather. "What the fuck? Let go of me before I call the police." Mr. Lee cautioned, his legs went kicking.

"If you ever touch her again, I will cut your arms off." Namjoon growled.

"What I do to her is none of your business." he spat. He threw empty swings at Namjoon's face. "She should be lucky someone even gives her attention."

That was the wrong thing to say. Namjoon had plans to keep the man alive, but rats like him don't deserve to breathe. With that in mind, Namjoon landed a fist at the man's cheek. It knocked the wind out of Mr. Lee, who snapped his head back, only for Namjoon's fist to meet his face once more. Blood escaped from both his mouth and nose. Namjoon wasn't satisfied enough. He then kneed the man's stomach and groin until he was close to passing out. No one dared to call the police because they all apprehended the situation at hand.

"Say that again and I'll kill you," Namjoon warned. "That girl is mine." Then with the slightest bit of effort, Namjoon shoved him to the ground. The man gave one final attempt to stand up before passing out completely. The waiter guaranteed to Namjoon that he will call the police and file a report. Namjoon nodded, then proceeded to enter the cab. There was never a doubt in his mind the second he stood up from his table that he would leave you alone tonight.

Your eyes shut close as your breathing became normal. It was still hot, and you tugged at the neckline once again. Namjoon cleared his throat and looked away when he saw that your dress had lifted a little too high and the collar had fallen to a compromising angle. He took his coat off then draped it over your body.

"Where to, sir?" the taxi driver asked. Namjoon hadn't thought that far. It wasn't anything that you needed to go to the hospital for and besides, that would raise unwanted attention towards you two. So he gave the driver the address of his studio. The cab drove over a bump, and you hit your head hard against the door. It wasn't enough to wake you up, but you were still uncomfortable as you slept. Namjoon lightly rolled his eyes as he pulled your head to the crook of his neck and held your shoulders protectively. It was only because you were drugged, nothing else, he told himself. Still, the tingles took over his body as he felt your familiar warm and scent. He closed his eyes and pretended that it was 8 years ago.

When he arrived at the studio, he placed you down gently on the bed. It was only big enough for one person, how unfortunate. He slapped himself when the thought went through his mind. He justified it by saying he would want to make sure you don't fall down in the middle of the night. He tucked you in under the weighted blanket, and made his way to the couch.

"S-stay." he heard you whisper before he reached the couch. When he turned around, he saw that you were still sleeping. It must be a dream, he told himself. Sighing, he went back to the couch. "Namjoon." The sound of his name made him frozen in place. Deep down, he missed the way you said his name, so full of love, and lies. "I miss you."

"Lies, you never cared about me." he said aloud. He blamed everything on the drug and yet, his hope tree grew. He shook his head and covered his ears.

"I loved you." His breath hitched, his eyes glued to the window because at least he knew the sky was real and it was constant.

"You only wanted my money." he replied. "That's why you left."

"No. You didn't want me. You wanted someone better. That's why I left."

There had never been anyone other than you, and he made certain that you knew that when you were together. He couldn't understand where you got the idea from."Someone better? I only ever wanted you." He waited for your answer, only to receive silence. He bit his lips and turned around once again, this time, you were truly asleep and he won't ever know what you meant.