Chapter 9

Although last night was wonderful and Namjoon wouldn't trade it for anything, he felt an instant regret when he saw you the next day. Your mother opened the door for him, then proceeded to scold him for making you go out so late in the cold weather. She told him you had come down with a fever and was too weak to even stand up. Namjoon bowed to your parents multiple times before they allowed him to go see you.

Jimin was by your bedside, humming something melodic as you laid awake. When you saw Namjoon entering your room, your first instinct was to sit up. Except Jimin blocked your body with his arm, he gave you a look of warning. The boy can be quite scary at times. He glanced up at Namjoon, and gave him a similar look. The taller boy froze and gulped.

"You shouldn't be here. You might catch a cold too." you said, your voice hoarse.

"It's my fault you're like this," he replied, taking steps closer until he reached you. He refrained from holding your hand. "I'm sorry, Y/N."

"Don't be, I'm alright."

Beside you, Jimin grunted. "You have a fever, you're not fine." he said grumpily, crossing his arms and turned away. You understood why he was upset.

"Jiminie," you tugged on his shirt for him to look at you, "I'm really sorry that I can't go with you today. Eomma said she will close the restaurant for today to take you."

"I don't want to it to be an inconvenience for them." he said with a quivering voice.

"Don't say that. This is your audition, they would love to go." you insisted. Still, the boy shook his head.

"What's going on?" Namjoon asked.

"Jimin has his audition for this dance academy. I promised I would take him." you replied. Namjoon then understood the situation and felt the guilt expanding. An idea popped in his head, and he hoped your parents still have some trust in him.

"Jimin, I can take you." Namjoon declared.

The boy turned his head slowly. "What?"

"I have my car, I can drive you and stay there with you. If you don't mind, of course."

"Namjoon, are you sure?" you asked. Part of you was thrilled that he made the suggestion, it would make Jimin happy, he wouldn't be alone. Namjoon nodded to confirm, all that was left was Jimin's answer. The boy was still upset with Namjoon for making his sister sick, but he can see the amend Namjoon was trying to make.

"Alright, thank you. I'll go get ready." Then he waltzed out of the room.

"Take care of him for me." you commanded.

"Anything for you, my love." he soothed. Instead of kissing you, he ruffled your hair lightly, then left for you to sleep some more.

***

During the car ride, Jimin didn't hesitate to turn up his music as he practiced. The cap was back on his head. From what Namjoon had imagined, he thought the kid would breakdance. Instead, soft piano music filled the car and Jimin's arms moved gracefully where they could reach. His eyes were closed, every blood cell came alive with every beat of the piece.

"I can't focus if you're looking at me." he spoke up. Namjoon's eyes snapped back to the road.

"Sorry, you seem really good at it."

"Thanks." His eyes opened, "Appa said I've been dancing since I learned how to walk. Just like how noona was painting since she could use her hands. We're very lucky to have our parents' support."

"They are amazing people." Namjoon smiled to himself.

"If I get into the academy, I'll have to leave them. And they'll be all alone. I remember when noona left, they were so sad, and so was I. We were never apart as kids, and I feel so inadequate as a brother when I'm not next to her to protect her."

Namjoon couldn't suppress a laugh. "She's a strong girl, she can take care of herself."

"That might be true, but she's also hopeful. That's something dangerous to have." Jimin muttered.

"You know, my feelings for her are real. When I go back to the city, I won't forget her. I can visit her at school, I'll protect her." he reassured.

"It's not you I'm worried about. There are other forces you won't be able to control." the young boy said. Namjoon felt that he was out of the loop about something, from what you said last night to now with Jimin, the common thread of unpredictability was something to be afraid of. Namjoon swore to himself that he won't let anything harm you.

The audition was held at a local school gym. Recruiters went around the country in hopes of finding a new talent, and Jimin was amongst one of those hopefuls. "You can do it buddy." Namjoon patted the boy on the back, who seemed to be frozen as soon as he approached the audition room. Namjoon was surprised to see how many other participants were there. Jimin said only one will enter the academy.

"What if I freeze? Or forget my steps?" he whispered, breath shaking.

"You won't. Remember, this is your dream, and nothing will get in the way of that, not even yourself."

Jimin nodded and confidently pushed the doors back. As soon as he stepped through, it was as if he transformed into someone else completely. The recruiters called him to go forward and Namjoon debated if he should leave or not. Jimin grabbed his hand delicately, "Please stay." And just like that, Namjoon took a seat in the corner. Jimin took his cap and coat off, Namjoon gasped a little because he never realized how thin the boy was. The pens clicked all at once as the song began.

Jimin's body swayed along to the beat. His limbs were fluid like the wind, every move captivated Namjoon and he cursed himself for not bringing his camera. The boy moved with a balance of strength and precision, the control it took must have taken him years to master. Namjoon was quite disappointed when the performance ended. He clapped the loudest. Glancing over at the judges, they nodded and wrote down some notes. They said the results will be announced by the end of the month, and the two of them went back to the car.

Jimin was completely out of breath and almost collapsed before he reached the seat. Luckily, Namjoon caught him in time. "You did amazing, Jimin."

"I think I'm gonna throw up." he confessed.

"Alright, let's get you home buddy."

"Thank you for being here." he managed to say.

"Of course, anything for you."

"You mean anything for noona."

"You're not wrong," Namjoon admitted. "But, you're my dongsaeng now." Jimin beamed, he guesses he has to fully accept Namjoon now.