Chapter 27

Despite his best efforts to pretend to be even more sick to stay at the hospital longer so that he wouldn't have to ride with Namjoon, he being buckled into the backseat by you. "Play nice." you cautioned. He nodded smally. Luckily Hoseok had agreed to let Jimin stay with you for a few days to recover. If he hadn't allowed it, you would have stormed the dance academy and burn his favorite shoes.

Outside, Namjoon opened the door for you once again. "I'm sorry about my brother. I don't know what's gotten into him." You were surprised that Namjoon was still here after all the comments and sharp words Jimin threw at him. Namjoon wondered the same thing, he could have easily left and let Jimin walk home like he wanted. But he couldn't bring himself to upset the boy even further. There's an innocent charm to him that he sees in Jungkook.

"It's okay. I'm sure he has his reasons. Whether they're true or not." He said that last part under his breath, but it didn't escape your ear. You wondered what he meant. Sitting in the passenger seat again, you felt the waves of exhaustion washing over you. Too much had happened since yesterday and today and you just wanted to catch you breathe. You let out a small yawn but kept your eyes open because you needed to give Namjoon directions to your apartment.

"Turn right up ahead." you directed. Namjoon did as told. He found it odd that he never explored much of the city while he was living here. His photography took it around the world, and yet, the most precious gem was home. Then he remembered, he was too afraid to run into you in the city. That could explain why he left the continent, it wasn't because the idea of living with Yoongi was riveting. The guy would beg Namjoon to go fishing any chance he got.

After a while, he hadn't heard another command of direction from you. He took a glimpse at the passenger seat and found you sleeping. Your head was tilted away from him. He saw your low ponytail pulled over your shoulder and the hair falling freely like a waterfall. It was impossible to have black hair, but it was the simplest way Namjoon could describe it. The blue of midnight, he saw your hair flowing as he stargazes on top of his roof.

Being asleep allowed your body to relax. He was glad that you no longer had the look of anxiousness and concerned that seemed to be glue on your face. It reminded him of your semi care-free self when he first met you. You had the world on your shoulders, but your smile hid everything from him. Nowadays, he hadn't really seen the smile he missed so much.

"Turn left here," Jimin spoke up. "And keep your eyes on the road please."

Namjoon snapped his head back, "Right, sorry." He became increasingly aware of the burning sensation he felt in the back of his neck. The rearview mirror showed that Jimin was glaring at him. Although the boy was a ball of fluff, appearance could be deceiving and he would kill if needed, especially for his sister and family. Namjoon cleared his throat. "How is dance going?" he asked, unsure of what he was actually doing.

Jimin wondered the same thing, and at first, he didn't want to answer. But then he thought about how Namjoon would give you a hard time later on in the project if Jimin wasn't nice to him right now. "It's going fine, I guess."

"That's good," Namjoon continued. "What are your plans for afterwards?"

Jimin found himself answering without actively forcing his mouth to. "I'll graduate next year. Hoseok hyung said there's a good chance the academy will hire me as a choreographer. If not, some entertainment company has been emailing the school about me."

"Which one?"

"A new one, I don't think you've heard of it. BigHit, I think."

"Oh, I know one of the producers there." Namjoon exclaimed quietly to not wake you up. "He's a friend from abroad. I think you will like the environment."

Jimin retorted, "How do you know what I like?"

"I know you don't like being alone, I know you like having people around." Namjoon answered, they met eyes in the mirror. He could see Jimin's unfaltering expression, but his eyes changed and he quickly looked out the window. "They're very big on family values. You should give it a shot."

"Whatever, I just want to make money." That made Namjoon upset. He only wanted to encourage Jimin to follow his passion, but everything went back to money.

"Why?"
"I'll explain it to you because everyone who looks like you won't understand it." Jimin provoked. He wasn't wrong, Namjoon never cared much for money primarily because he didn't need to. Still, he knew enough. "You don't know enough." Jimin stated plainly.

"What?"

"You don't understand why people have to work so hard for money."

"You're right, I don't understand." Namjoon rebutted. "Money isn't all that great. Why don't you just focus on what makes you happy?"

"You only say that because you had all the money in the world to do whatever you love. People like noona and I can't afford to have big dreams like that. Well, she gave up her dreams so I can have mine, and that's why I have to earn money to repay her."

Namjoon blinked. "What do you mean give up her dreams?"

"Don't you remember? She loved painting, but someone once told her she would never make enough money for the world to give a second glance. So she quit and got this practical job in order to pay for my tuition. I've been stuck with this guilt for so long, but she says that she's happy, and I'll take her word for it. You don't understand the blood, sweat, and tears people have to sacrifice in order to survive. That's a privilege. And that's why you two were not meant to be." Namjoon was awestruck by his honesty and bluntness. It stirred something in Namjoon's brain.

"My mom said she gave her enough money for both your schooling." he said unsurely. Jimin's words were filled with conviction, it made Namjoon questioned everything.

"What? What money?" Jimin demanded. "Why would noona take money from your mom in the first place? Wait, I get it, it's compensation for what you did. Noona is a better person than you give her credit for, she didn't want your money. If she had taken anything, she wouldn't have been so miserable all these years."

"Wait, what did I do?" Namjoon questioned. Jimin never answered, instead, he told Namjoon to stop the car. He got out and scooped your body up, you had fallen deep asleep from exhaustion. "I don't think she's in the right state for a contract," Jimin decide, "and I don't want her to be with you right now." The door slam shut, leaving Namjoon alone with his thoughts.