Chapter 2

The paintbrush glided effortlessly over the canvas. Orange glow intermingling with pastel pink as cold blue lay below them. The overlap was your favorite thing where borders are unclear and you are left with the freedom to roam anywhere. Except you haven't added anything new since you started last week. Your fingers became numb, and it became harder to hold the brush.

"Guess it's time to go home now." you said aloud. It was a habit of yours, talking to yourself. Sometimes the seagulls would stop by to keep you company. You began packing your oil and brushes in their designated bag. They were essentially your life, you saved up so much money in high school to buy them. Your mom gave you an earful when you brought them home. But you were thankful she didn't kick you out of the house when you said you wanted to become a painter.

Even before turning around, you felt that you weren't alone. It wasn't the birds, it was another human. Slowly, you turned your head while grabbing the closest weapon to you, your aluminum water bottle. Your intuition was right, there was another person. He stood up by the main road and had a camera. You swore it was pointing right at you. Something in your mind told you to wave and when you did, the camera person jumped and turned the other direction. But occasionally, he would glance over at you, to see if you would notice him. Considering he was taller than all of the boys in town, it was pretty easy to do.

Silence between you two except for the crashing waves It made you feel self-conscious, though, that he was looking at you. From the looks of it, he didn't look harmful, a tall boy with raven hair. Cautiously, you began walking off the other direction, it would be a longer route to your house, but you wanted to avoid walking towards him. You could just be overthinking it and he could just be another tourist, but you could have swore he smiled at you while glancing over. You shook the thought off and continued the walk.

During the break, your daily schedule is going to the shore to paint, go home and clean up a little bit, then go to the restaurant and help your mom out. Even with your parents and your brother, it was still tough. You made it to the restaurant right at lunch time, the time that they needed help the most. Without missing a beat, you tied your hair up and began working.

Since your parents were empathetic to your growing art education, they don't let you do anything that might hurt your hands. So you were mainly in charge of getting customers, taking their orders, and taking their money. Sometimes you should disobey and take a few dishes back to wash. Jimin would always complain, but that's the perk of being his older sister. They don't let him do a lot of heavy lifting though, he was on the path to becoming a great dancer in a big city. People tend to criticize your family because how lenient your parents are with their kids' career choices. Your mom fired back saying money isn't all that great and if they keep talking, she's shove it up a place the sun can't reach. Despite her bluntness, people still love her and her food.

"Noona, did up finish the painting today?" Jimin ask during an unmarked break time where every customer seemed satisfied and won't need anything for awhile.

You sighed and shook your head, "No, maybe tomorrow." The boy pouted, but nodded his head firmly to tell you it was okay. Still, you felt bad. You promised to let him see it since you started the piece the day you got back, yet something seemed to be holding you back from finishing. You didn't know what it was.

Jimin and you instinctively began stretching before dinner time, it would be the busiest and your back always hurt by the end of the night. Just as expected, waves of people flooded in. They didn't even need to be directed to their table, it was in their blood to know where to sit at the restaurant. You found it amazing that people would want to eat here. Not to say the food isn't good, but the location itself lacked any modern touches. For one thing, there was no TV or air conditioning in the summer. The walls had stains dated back to when you were in diapers. The chairs and tables garnered scratches on their metal surface. But there was definitely something homelike about the place, where people can forget about their busy lives for a while.

"Y/N, don't let anyone go to that back table." your mom instructed.

"Why, eomma, there will be more people coming?"

"Just turn them away." she answered casually. You almost fainted. This wasn't normal behavior for your mom, she would never turn anyone away. She would even bring out more chairs to accommodate her customers, not for the money, she just wanted to see people happy.

"Eomma, what's going on? You never do that."

"I reserved it for someone else. Now quit asking questions." she scolding, slapping your arm lightly. Without asking any further questions, you followed her order and turned away any customers who would need to sit there. The place wasn't getting anymore spacious, you felt awful for making those customers leave. Luckily, they were fine with taking the orders to go.

The door opened, giving the bell a little jingle. "Hello, welcome to... " It was him, no doubt about it. The man you saw earlier. He changed his clothes but the scarf and camera remained as if they were extensions of him.

"Um hi, can I get a table?" he asked. You were not expected such a deep voice from his small baby face. It shook you back to reality.

"Oh I'm sorry, we don't have anymore tables-"

A shadow dashed out from the kitchen then suddenly stood next to the slender boy."There you are, I've been waiting." your mother exclaimed. "Come, I saved a table for you." She tugged at his arm and dragged him to the back table. All you could do was stare in awe as the two of them chatted. Your mom said something and he laughed, it was the most dazzling smile you've ever seen. The urge in you grew to paint it, along with his dimples.

Behind you, Jimin pouted even further. "Whatever, I'm still cuter."