Chapter 14

You didn't know how you managed, but you survived the bloodbath of dinner. After the secret was revealed, his father excused himself to his studies and his mother held her ground at the table. Any chance she got, she would pry Namjoon away from you and forced CEO Hong's daughter onto him. She was successful in pulling him away when dinner ended. They shared a long conversation out on the balcony while Irene kept you company. The only good part of dinner was that you made a few new friends.

When Namjoon came back from the talk, his aura changed. When you tried grabbing his arm, he lazily brushed it away. Asking him what's wrong was futile, he shrugged it off, saying he was tired. As he walked you to your room, the distance between you and him suddenly expanded from out of nowhere. You wonder if you did something wrong during dinner and he was angry with you. Your hope didn't completely vanish as he bent down and plant a tender kiss on your forehead, the kiss lasted a little longer than usual, as if it was a farewell. That thought didn't stay long in your mind.
Your room, the size of your whole house, had a pastel pink hue to it, almost like a princess chamber. Renaissance paintings and decorations were strategically placed throughout the room to make the room bigger and feel fuller. You slept comfortably, thrilled to have him once again all to yourself for a day longer.

The next morning, however, the house got visibly more deserted. The glamour from the night before washed away. You put on a white sweater and jeans before leaving your room. Curiosity got the better of you and you tiptoed to his room, down the hall from yours, which was empty. The door was pushed back only lightly, allowing you to see a portion of his bed, the blue sky, and a table set. You remembered him mentioning his admired for carved wooden furniture.

"Miss Y/N," someone called out, making you jumped. Although you weren't doing anything wrong, there's still the feeling that you were an intruder. Turning around, you were faced with one of the maids. Even she wore better clothes than you. "The madam is waiting for you in the greenhouse."

You thought the greenhouse was a code for something, but it was indeed a greenhouse that inhabited rare foreign flowers. You dared not to touch anything once you entered. The sunlight broke through the glass ceiling and lit the stone path that you walked. Madam Kim sat in the center on an intricate white metal chair like a statue. A porcelain teacup in her hand with gold trimming. She gestured for you to sit down with her eyes.

"I apologize for making you wait." you said.

She shook her head unmovingly, "My dear, you've done worse things to me." she answered bluntly. The teacup in her hand gave a small clink as she placed it on the table. The comment struck your heart, you bit your tongue to remain calm.

"I won't try to convince you that I'm a good match for Namjoon, because you won't believe me."

"I'm glad we're on the same page," she began, "Because I know you are not the ideal partner for my son. Look at this teacup, it's probably worth more than your entire outfit right now. Do you think that's a quality I will accept as my son's girlfriend?"

"I don't care what you think about my clothes. I work hard to buy them with my own money. I didn't have the privilege to own diamonds or silk that were handed to me by my family. But nevertheless, I am happy and Namjoon sees that. He doesn't care that I come from nothing, and you should not either." you concluded.

"My son is naive, he doesn't know what he wants or what is good for him. He needs to marry someone of the same status, so that he can keep his head up high." she snarled. You wanted to roll your eyes, it was truly a wonder that this woman could be so vain. You couldn't wait for Namjoon to tell her wrong, but then again, he wasn't anywhere in sight. "If you're looking for my son, don't bother. He told me the truth last night, and you wouldn't want to hear it."

Your heart stopped. It was only a threat, you told yourself, she was playing mind tricks. "What do you mean by that?"

"He's meeting CEO Hong's daughter one more time to discuss his marriage." the woman snickered. The sound echoed in your head as you try to process what was going on. "I thought you would be a smart girl, I guess you two weren't cut from the same cloth afterall."

"He wouldn't have agreed to that." you managed to say.

"I figured you would say that." She pulled her pocket a cellphone, then set it down on the table. An audio began playing. You recognized Namjoon's voice without a doubt.

"My son, are you really going to continue dating that girl?" his mother asked.

"Eomma, of course not." he chuckled. "I was just bored while I was away. You know how I am. How could I actually like some no-name painter, she's not even good at all. She would never make enough money for the world to give her a second glance. I would much rather go for that CEO's daughter." The voice belonged to him, the laugh was his, but the words he spoke were so cruel. The tears began to form and burned your eyes. The audio continued.

"What are you going to do with her then?" his mother inquired, she sounded exhilarated that her son was on.

"Drop her off and never see her again." he answered right away. "If she calls, I'll just send her some money to shut her up." Then she took the phone back. You were still stunned, to think that she would record the conversation but also of what he said. You covered your ears.

"This isn't true. It can't be." you exploded. The woman watched in delight as you weep.

"I'm sorry my dear. This is how my son is." She slid forward a white envelope. "I'll give you something to ease the pain." You didn't need to ask to know what it was. Slowly, you reached for it, her eyes grew to see if you would take the bait. She definitely wasn't expecting you to throw in on the floor.

"No thank you. I don't need you or your dirty money." you growled.

"Well then, I can send someone to take you home."

"I'd rather walk than to be near any of you." Your feet went flying and you hastily grabbed your suitcase. Not a second gone by that you didn't think it could be fake, something she made up to separate you two. But it would explain the coldness he had for you last night. He finally revealed his true nature. Through the tears, you yanked the necklace off and left it by the vanity. Without a second glance, you walked out the door.