Chapter 26

As you were giving Namjoon a brief overview of what the exhibit entails, your phone rang. Namjoon frowned a little at the name. You ignored it at first to keep the meeting professional, but it rang again. "It must be important." Namjoon grumbled.

"Do you mind if I answer it?" you asked timidly. He shook his head and gesture for you to pick up the call. He leaned back and began scrolling on his phone.

"Hey oppa," you answered and Namjoon almost fell off his chair. Your eyes widened but he signaled that he was okay. "I'm at work right now, what's going on?" The man on the line answer and your hands went numb. Namjoon saw the colors draining out of your face. "I'll be right there." You stood up quickly, feeling disoriented and weak. Namjoon caught your shoulders to keep you from falling.

"Y/N, what's wrong?" he asked. He grew more concerned when he saw the tears building up in your eyes.

"Jimin," you whispered. "His teacher called. He's in the hospital right now. I'm sorry, I have to go." You pushed passed him and ran. He pulled your wrist back.

"Let me take you." It wasn't a suggestion, he held your hand as you two walked out of the office. Taehyung had a sly comment but saw your distress state and Namjoon shaking his head authoritatively. You let him open the door of his car for you. The memory of him forcing you out of the car only so that he could open the door for you suddenly popped into your head. Namjoon's urge to grab your hand intensified when he saw that you were digging your nails into your skin. "He'll be okay. He's a strong kid." he reaffirmed. You could only nod.

Once the car arrived at the hospital, you both sprinted inside. The nurse pointed to a room down the hallway and you bowed gratefully to her. Just as you reached the door, the doctor closed the door gently behind him. Peering over his shoulder, you saw your baby brother resting. "You must be his guardian." the doctor said.

"Yes, I'm his sister. What happened?"

"He fainted out of exhaustion. It's nothing too severe, we'll keep him here for another hour or so and he should be good to go home." the doctor answered. He also allowed you two to enter the room. The boy lifted his eyes up as you rushed over to his side, sweeping the golden locks from his face.

"I told him not to call you." he muttered.

"Why would you keep it a secret from me?" you asked, your voice raised a bit. The boy flinched slightly.

"Because now you'll work harder to pay for my hospital bill." he answered. Your heart sank. You wondered how many times he had kept something hidden from you because he didn't want you to worry about him. Times like these, you felt useless to be his older sister. Even his chubby cheeks were gone, they were amongst some of your favorite features about him, second to his eyes.

"It's my damn job to take care of you Jimin, why don't you understand that?" you begged. The tears burning through your eyes and falling onto his blanket.

"You're mad at me." he said quietly.

Grabbing his hand, you shook your head. "I'll never be mad at you. I'm sorry for being a terrible sister." you cried. "You're always worrying about me and I didn't even know how hard you're pushing yourself. I'm sorry"

"Noona, I'm fine. Please don't worry about it. And please don't cry, I hate it when you cry." He sat up slowly and embraced you. You rested your head on his shoulder. When he opened his eyes, he was fully aware of the other person in the room, and his smile faded. His arms dropped, indicating to you that he was no longer happy. "What is he doing here?" Jimin growled. Namjoon, despite being much taller than Jimin, shrunk at his words.

You looked back, wiping your tears away forcefully, leaving a reddish hue on your cheeks. "He drove me here, my car is still being fixed." you replied.

"What were you doing together?" he asked, this time a little bit louder and a little bit more vile. He held you hand, to make sure you would stay by his side.

"Reino is holding an exhibition from him. I'm working with him on the contract."

"I don't want you working with him," he stated loudly. "I don't want him to be near you." Namjoon heard the statements loud and clearly. He didn't blame the kid for holding a grudge. Namjoon never once thought about being angry with Jimin for some reason, probably because Jimin never pretended to kiss up to Namjoon for any favors. And neither did you, things were unclear to him.

"Jimin, please" you began, "This is my job and he actually helped me a lot last night."

The boy scoffed. "What could he possibly help you with when he was the one that broke you?" Namjoon wanted to argue with him, it was you who broke him. But Jimin will probably believe your lies over his truth.

"Jimin," you warned. "That's enough. Whatever happened has happened. We've both moved on from it. Just let it go."

He pursed his lips, "Fine." he settled. "You can go back to work, I'll call Hoseok hyung to take me back to the academy."

"No you will not. I'm gonna call oppa to let you take a few days off and you'll stay at my apartment."

"Noona, I'm fi-"

"That's final," you declared. "We'll call a cab once the doctor allows you to leave."

"Actually, I can take you." Namjoon offered. His voice came out a lot smaller than he had intended to. It wasn't how he had imagined meeting Jimin once again to be.

"It's alright. I've bothered you enough today."

"We still have to talk about the exhibition." he pointed out.

"Oh, right. Sorry." It was your mistake for assuming he was being nice for the sake of being nice to you. Namjoon bit his lips, he misspoke again. He didn't want you two to take a cab, he wanted to make sure that Jimin got home safely.

"I'd rather walk than to be in the same car as him," Jimin commented under his breath, which was pointless because everyone heard him.

"Jimin."

"Sorry," but of course he wasn't truly sorry. Jimin would cross the ocean for you, and he would never question your judgment. However, he could not piece together there wasn't an air of tension, but instead, reunion. He feared the worst had happened, that your hope tree had flourished.