Chapter 29

Reaching the front entrance of the museum, you felt a strange sensation of anxiety. It could just be that you're meeting Namjoon again to go over the exhibition more in debt. Taehyung had emailed him the contract prior and he had signed everything. The weights on your shoulder decreased a little bit. You haven't seen him since a week ago when you fell asleep in his car, it could be why you felt so on edge. Another reason could be what Jimin said, he saw the hope you harbored and it's a dangerous thing to have for someone with a broken heart.

"It's just for work," you told yourself, "And after this I'll never see him again." Before entering the door, you felt an ominous presence creeping up from behind. Suddenly, the sky grew charcoal gray, the sun hid itself behind the shields of fluffy clouds. A car door slammed somewhere.

"Miss Y/N," a voice called out, a wickedly familiar voice. You wished you had the power to disappear, but nonetheless, you turned around. The aura of regalness remained intact around his mother's body. The sunglasses covered more than half of her face, it didn't cover the animosity etched on her face.

"Madame Kim, what a surprise to see you here." you said carefully. The woman removed her sunglasses and looked at you scornfully. Her gaze could melt you instantly if she tried. "What brings you here?"

"Do I need your permission to go wherever I like?" she retorted. It made you gulp. The realization hits you that she's friends with Director Song and it should be normal for her to visit. However, in the years that you've worked here, you've never seen her there nor has Director Song once mentioned being friends with her. Though rich people might have different ways of maintaining friendships.

"My apologies," you offer. Then you took a step back for her to enter, but her feet remained planted to the ground. When you glanced up at her, meeting her eyes for a split second, you found that she was eyeing you up and down. "Is there something wrong?" you asked quietly.

"Yes, you." she answered without missing a beat.

"Excuse me?"

"I can't believe Hana was dumb enough to hire you as the curator. If I had known, I would have stopped supporting this museum long ago." What surprised you most was not the thorns of her words, but how she addressed her own friends. It was unbelievably vile that she would stop her support because of you. And on that same note, you did nothing wrong. But the truth she believed in was beyond anything you can prove with facts.

"Please refrain from saying something like that." you said. Even if Director Song was never the nicest to you, you were still grateful that she gave you the opportunity in the first place.

"I don't want to hear this from a poor, uneducated girl like you." she snapped. If your mother was here, the woman would no longer have any hair. But since it was just you and your career depended on how well you treat her, you grited your teeth and continued to be nice.

"Madame Kim, what is your problem with me? I have not bothered you nor have I ever took your money, so it makes no sense for you to treat me like this." you explained. The woman rolled her eyes, unfolded her cross arms, and walked closer to you. You felt the air being sucked away as she facing you.

"It makes absolute sense," she declared. "I hate you, and I hate knowing that you exist. I hate that you are working here and I hate that my son found you again."

"You son couldn't care less about me, madame." you corrected. "There's nothing for you to worry about."

"It's not my son I'm worried about." She poked your chest and pushed you back. "It's you, you slut."

Your knuckles became white. "Do not call me that-"

"Or what?" she challenged. When you said nothing in return, she laughed. "I want you to stay away from him, and stop poisoning him with your words. He will never love someone like you."

The wounds opened again, and the knot in your throat was tighter. "I don't know about your son, but I want nothing to do with him after what he did to me. Believe what you want, I am only doing my job." That wasn't a good enough answer for her, and frankly, nothing you say will make her happy. Her hand came down hard and the sound of the slap echoed in clear air. The trees swayed as birds flew away. You stood frozen, the pain beginning to spread.

"You and your mother are of the same breed. Greedy and don't know where you belong."

"You will not talk to my mother that way. She's a much better person than you ever will be. At least she loves people for who they are, you only see their monetary worth. And at the end of the day, you'll have nothing left." She clenched her jaw tightly. Her hand went up in the air again, this time rapidly, you braced yourself for the impact. But nothing came.

When you opened your eyes, you saw the familiar mint hair. Taehyung stared down a the woman borely. Sometimes, you forget how tall and intimidating he is, especially when he's upset. He held the Madame's wrist and pushed it back. He then wrapped an arm around your shoulder, pulling your head to his chest. "I suggest you go before I call the police for assaulting my noona." he warned, his chocolate voice cent shivers through the woman. She huffed then stomped away. Taehyung quickly pulled you inside.

Before Madame Kim got into her car, a voice called her back. "Eomma, what are you doing here?" Namjoon asked, unsurprised and yet extremely worried.

"Oh, I heard from Hana that you're doing an exhibition here. I just came to chat, that's all." she lied. Namjoon nodded skeptically. "You should have told me yourself." she added, trying to distract him.

"Right, I just forgot." he shrugged. "Did you... see anyone else?"

"No, I only saw Hana." she stated.

"I see." He scanned the perimeter, you weren't in sight, which was good, you would avoid the crossfire, he thought. "I have a meeting, I should go now."

"Alright, I'll leave then. But son, I hope you remember what's best for you." she commented before climbing in the car and then leaving. Namjoon knew better, he was starting to see it. That his mother did not care about his best interest.