Chapter 22

Another yawn escaped his lips. He quickly closed his mouth, but it didn't seem like his date had even noticed. She continued rambling on about the newest Louboutin shoes she had designed especially for her large feet. "I'm so embarrassed to talk about this." she giggled. It astonished him that she thought she was being cute.

"No, that's not embarrassing at all." Namjoon lied. He yawned again as she moved on the nose she got customized, by now, Namjoon had completely tuned her out. This would be the first and last time Namjoon let his mom set him up with some snotty heiress. While he was away in the States with Yoongi, he managed to dodge the bullets. But now that he's back, his mother has a list of suitors ready for him. Now that he was 26, it was socially expected of him to get married and continue the family's tree of high lineage.

Namjoon told her multiple times that he never wanted to marry, it was too much work and he couldn't handle the commitment anymore. It was too emotionally draining. He couldn't even remember his date's name right now. Anytime he tried, his mind would suddenly think of...

"Y/N," he whispered upon seeing you entering the restaurant.

"What?" the heiress said, following his gaze. Her eyes set on your every movement and instinctively snuggled her body right against Namjoon. He realized this was her plan by asking the hostess to give them a corner booth. He smiled but inched further away from her. "Do you know her?" she asked, seeing that Namjoon was still looking at you. You sat alone at first, he recognized that the dress was one of Irene's designed and it bothered him how good you look in it.

"No, not really." he answered without moving his eyes away. Now it was going to bug him as to why you're here. The ambiance of the place could only mean that you were on a date.

The heiress cleared her throat, "I knew it, you would never associate yourself with someone like her. Even with the dress, anyone can easily tell she's a commoner without any class."

Namjoon clenched his jaws, refraining from telling her off. He had no right to, considering he had the exact same thoughts. After what Taehyung told him, he began rethinking. You couldn't be as an angel as everyone claimed because the damage in his heart was still there. His shoulders perked up when a man in his forties approached your table. He touched your shoulder a little too tender for comfort and it made you jump.

"Mr. Lee, thank you for agreeing to meet with me." you shook his sweaty hand. The man had an unsettling smile on him. He was amongst the list of the potential replacement for Mono.

"You look beautiful tonight." he grinned. The intonation of his voice sent chills through your spine.

"T-thank you." you stuttered. "Shall we get started on discussing the project?" You flipped through your folders and pulled out some contracts. The man reached forward and placed his hand on yours. You looked up in confusion. From afar, Namjoon gripped his seat.

"We can discuss this later at my house, why don't we just enjoy ourselves right now?" he prompted. He continued to keep his hand on top of yours even after you nodded. So you quickly retracted it and hid it under the table. Just as he demanded, dinner went on with minimal business talk.

"I apologize but I still have a lot of work after this so could you sign the contract when we finish dinner?" you insisted. You were halfway through with the food but his starring was making the room suffocating. Mr. Lee frowned.

"I don't like to be rushed to do something I don't want. Stop talking or else I'll say no." he warned.

"Sorry." you muttered. He didn't stay agitated for long, he was back to creepily smile at you while trying to play footsie with you. You began to wonder if the job was even worth making a fool out of yourself like this. In this world, it was hard being a woman and have men take you seriously and that was your motivation to keep going, to prove them wrong. Due to nervousness and annoyance, you kept drinking water and soon you excused yourself to use the restroom. Mr. Lee seemed awfully delighted that you had to go.

Namjoon, unfortunately, wasn't able to keep a watch on you as the heiress was pulling him closer to look at the diamond necklace important from Russia. Something nagged at him to look back because something was wrong. He didn't see anything suspicious, except the man was shaking your water glass and quickly stopped once you came back.

"Sorry for taking so long." you said.

"No worries," the man reassured, "You look a little parched still, why don't you take a sip of water." It was strange, you had to admit, but this was a public area and the man is a well-known photographer, the worst-case scenario was not going to happen. That's why you took a big gulp of water. The man watched patiently as the glass touched the table. The room was shaking, no, you were shaking. You started seeing two of everything. Everything seemed to be burning, the clothes you were wearing felt restricting. Feeling that your throat was on fire, you drank more of the water. The man's smile grew wider.

Namjoon watched as you looked around the room in distressed. You were tugging at the neckline of your dress which he thought was odd and something provocative. The colors rushed to your cheeks. The man called the waiter over, whispered something in his ear, then proceeded to help you out the door. Maybe you got sick from the food, Namjoon thought. His eyebrows furrowed when the man's hand went lower on your body than it should have.

He glanced at the water glass, then back at you. The pieces finally clicking together and without a second thought, he bolted for the door.