Chapter 8

A song came on, waking you from your slumber. The midnight sky was a coat of ink that didn't allow room for any stars. Your phone was buzzing at your side. The name displayed made your heart flutter. You hadn't expected him to call after what happened the other day. He hadn't shown up to the painting spot ever since.

"Hello?" you answered, your voice came out weak and quite unpleasant.

"Hi." he answered softly. "I'm sorry I woke you."

"Um, it's okay. Is everything alright?" You sat up and rubbed your eyes. If Jimin were here, he would slap your hand away.

"I know it's late right now, but can you meet me by the dock?" he asked.

"The dock?"

"Yes, I'll be waiting." Then he hung up. At first, you thought it was some vivid dream that was so powerful, it transcended to reality. Your eyes shut again while you sat on your bed, contemplating if you should fall back asleep or not. But then they snapped open. It was freezing this time of year at night. He's probably not used to the weather, he must be out of his mind. You'll give him a scolding once you see him. Making sure to grab an extra blanket along with being stealthy as you exit the house, you made a dash towards the shore.

Lights from the roads were still ablaze. Just as you were expected, he was hugging his chest tightly and covered his face with his scarf. As you got closer, he spun around and his eyes lit up at the sight of you. But he couldn't move to hug you like he wanted. Instead, he waited as you wrapped the blanket around him. "You're crazy. Why are you out here in this weather?" you yelled.

After warming up a bit, he managed to giggle. "I wanted to see you."

"You could have waited until tomorrow morning."

He shook his head vigorously, "No, I don't think I can. I thought I was fine with never seeing you again, just like you wanted, but I can't."

"I never said that." you pointed out.

"But you have thought about it. You thought about how I would just leave, and move on with my life without you. I can't do that, Y/N, you mean too much to me." His hand caught yours and pulled you closer until you felt the warmth of his breathe. "Besides, you have something of mine."

"What?"

"My heart." Namjoon grinned. You've often heard those lines from Kdrama and would cringe every time. Something about his voice and him, in general, made you melt instead. He caught your hand and led you further down the dock, where he had set up a small stove and some mugs. "I had planned to make you some food." Namjoon explained. "But that sounds dangerous under minimal light, so we'll have to take a rain check on that. For now, we'll have hot chocolate instead."

"May I ask why?" you chuckled. The set up was quite cute, with some pillows and a blanket to sit on. The mugs were also new with matching decorations.

"Can't I have a drink with the person I adore?" he replied back. It made you blush. He pulled you down next to him, and draped the blanket over you two. Your hand wandered to his side, where it began playing with the hem of his sweater. It was awfully warm and inviting.

"Thank you," you answered as he handed you the mug. The aroma filled your nose instantly. It was the perfect drink for this weather. "Namjoon, seriously, why are you doing this? Especially for me, it's not worth it."

His body tensed up, and he set the mug down with a thud. He turned his body to face you completely. You felt vulnerable as he stared deep into your eyes. "Why do you keep putting yourself down? Can't you see how amazing you really are?" he sighed. "I wish you can see yourself through my eyes. Then you'll understand why I'm doing this."

"How do you see me?" you asked, feeling a strange surge of nervousness.

"You're everything." he answered. The weight of the word was heavy, yet he meant it and was ready to prove it to you. "I don't know why you suddenly feel so insecure. But please know that you are the person I want."

"It's just not how things are supposed to be. There are societal rules and structures set up. I didn't want to believe it, but it happened to my mom and I'm scared it'll happen to me." It was evident that he was hurt by your words. He wanted you to have more faith in him. But it was understandable, you barely knew him. Even so, he didn't think it was a good enough reason.

"Y/N, stop thinking like that. I know what I want, and that is you. No one can change my mind."

"Not even your own family?"

"Why did that come up all of the sudden?"

You shrugged. It was decided early on that you wouldn't tell him about his dad and your mom, not yet. "Nevermind."

He pulled your hand closer with a protective force. "You are my new standards because of everything you are, and that's perfection to me. You are the moment I want to go back to without hesitations."

A small seed of hope in you began to sprout. Every word he has spoken was water and that hope was thriving. "How do you know that?"

His face came closer until your noses touched. You felt him smiling as he kissed you tenderly. "Because you are my happy ending."