Chapter 35

She closed her eyes, feeling the December air hugging her cheek as she sipped the exotic tea. A garden of chrysanthemum formed in her body. This is how all imported tea should be, only fitting to those on top of the food and social chain. She smiled in delight, letting the world move, knowing she could make it stop with a snap of a finger, that was the power of money.

The table shook and teapot threatened to fall from its position. When she opened her eyes, she saw her son, both hands flat on the table as he leaned forward, all intentions and focus of a hunting predator. His eyes were raging, it caught her off guard. He was fine when she saw him yesterday. But it was as if she was looking at a stranger right now. "Son, what's going on-"

"I'm going to give you one more chance," he began in a growl. "Tell me what happened that day."

She gulped. "I-I already told you everything. I-I caught her stealing and threatened to call the police unless she confessed. Then s-she wrote you the letter and left."

"I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt," he scoffed. "Because you're my mother and I thought you wanted what's best for me."

"I do!-"

"You're a liar!" he yelled, his voice echoing in the distance. The maids gathered behind the balcony door inside to listen to the ruckus. She had never heard his voice raised at her in this manner before and she was feeling frightful. She couldn't call her husband because he was abroad on a business trip. "I trusted you and you lied to me." he cried. "You broke my heart, you broke her heart!"

"Son, I-I can explain." she scrambled to her feet and tried to comfort him, he backed away. "I had to lie, because she's not a good person. I know this because I knew her mother."

"Her mother?"

"She was after your father and his money. And she was vengeful when she found out he married me instead. She must have told her daughter about you, and she's only getting close to you to get revenge on us." she explained, full of confidence. If Namjoon hadn't known any better, he would have believed her wholeheartedly. Not today, not anymore. He pushed her back lightly.

"How did you fake my voice?" She hadn't expected him to find out about that part. "Answer me now before I leave." he threatened.

"I hired a programmer to edit your voice." she confessed. His heart fell, he couldn't imagine his mother pulling these tricks just because a person didn't live up to her standard. It caused that person and her son to hurt for so many years.

"You're unbelievable." he muttered breathlessly.

"I did it for you, son. Trust me." she begged, she had fully understood the extent of his anger towards her right now and she would do anything to get him back. She approached, trying to grab his hand. He swung it away, hard.

"I will never believe you again. You didn't do it for me, you did it to protect your image and reputation." Namjoon spat, staring down at her. "Congratulations, Madame Kim, you have lost your son. I'll send someone to move my things tomorrow."

She lunged at his arm, "Namjoon, I'm sorry, please don't leave. I can fix this, I swear." she cried.

"You've done enough. Now, I have to go get the girl I love back. Then he ran back to his car. On his way out, the maids gave him a thumbs up. Out on the balcony, the woman was frozen in fear and sadness. She got ahold of herself and pulled out her cellphone.

She spoke in a low and collective voice, "I need you to do something for me."

***

Namjoon didn't really specify when he would be back, and you had been waiting half an hour passed when you were supposed to go home. Yoongi yawned as he laid on the floor. It seemed like him and furniture weren't the best of friends. "You should go home oppa," you suggested.

"Namjoon would kill me if I leave you right now." he said.

"He probably won't come back anyways, I can just grab a cab home."

"He will come back."

"How do you know?"

"Because he's Namjoon, and he's crazy about you." You slumped back on the couch, mind spinning back to hours ago where you were held in his embrace, a place where you never wanted to leave. He said he loved you, well, loved you even now. It was so compelling and magical that you let yourself get hung up on them. And he told you his mother lied to the both of you, the truth was hidden somewhere.

"Then I'll wait for him here. You need to rest." It took more convincing but Namjoon texted Yoongi saying he would be there soon. Yoongi took it as a sign that everything was okay. So he patted your back and walked out of the building. You waited until you knew for sure he had driven away before walking out. Despite the promise, you felt that it was silly to wait for the person who would not come. Calling a cab would be the best choice.

Outside, a figure in a certain car had locked you insight. His foot was ready on the gas pedal, and when he saw that you had limped closer to the street, he pressed the pedal. The car launched forward. It took a few seconds for you to register that a car was aiming right at you. It was a few seconds too late, there was no time to run or get out of the way. The lights were blinding. You closed your eyes, waiting for the impact.

You did fall onto the ground, but it felt more like someone had pushed you. The person shook your body. "Oh my god, open your eyes, please!" he pleaded. When he got to the museum, he saw a suspicious car. He was already a little bit annoyed that you hadn't waited for him and began walking over to scold you. But his feet were running when he saw the speed of the car. He was not going to lose you today, or ever again.

"Namjoon?" You weren't dead, but you did see a bright star. The car slowly backed away and disappeared into the night.

"I told you to wait for me, what were you doing outside?" he yelled, his eyes were red. He held your shoulders protectively.

"I-I didn't know if you were coming back or not." you confessed.

Namjoon clenched his jaws. "Pabo, I'll always come back for you." He swept your hair back, and you saw the scratch on his palm.

"You're hurt." you exclaimed.

"You can make it better." he spoke slowly.

"How?" He leaned in, not waiting for anything to interrupt the moment. The kiss was burning orange in contrast to the December night. Everything in you told you to pull away from his addicting lips. But you could have died, and you won't let fear and uncertainty stop you from falling right now.