Chapter 5

It was another day that you regretted letting Namjoon decide the agenda. The other day he wanted to catch crabs, your fingers were still healing. He thought it would be a thrilling adventure to trespass his grandmother's old mansion. Your mom allowed you the day off at the restaurant after Namjoon begged her too. She even packed some kimbap because he lied and said you two were going on a picnic at some park. Before leaving, she even winked at you. You thought about how mother in Kdrama would freak out if a man tries to get near her daughter, but apparently not your mother.

Your feet felt heavy as you heaved up the hill, to the monstrous, abandoned mansion. Namjoon said his father didn't want to sell it because it felt wrong. So he sends someone every few months to clean up the place to make it feel more inhabitable. You asked Namjoon why he didn't stay there instead of renting a much smaller space. He said he would feel too lonely, and sad. You didn't press on. It was obvious this trip was more to reminiscent rather than to explore.

The gate gave a dying squeal as Namjoon pushed it forward, just enough for you two to fit through. The exterior of the mansion remained as regal as you remember it to be. White walls with marble detailings. You especially loved the small fountain in the front, now emptied. Peeking over it, you can see dozens of coins you wasted on wishes that probably won't come true.

"I used to wish I could teleport." Namjoon admitted from behind you. It made you jump and he caught your shoulders firm and delicately. He bowed a small apology.

"Teleport? Why not fly?"

"That takes too long. I want to get to where I want as fast as possible. Like if someone ever needs me, I'll be there to save them immediately."

"Wow, that's so deep. I used to wish I was a mermaid because I wanted luscious hair." you replied in embarrassment. But he didn't laugh in a mocking tone.

"Who knows, it could still happen." he said. "You can grow a tail and swim far from here. But don't go too far, I'll miss you."

You smiled softly, unable to suppress the blush. "Namjoon, you've known me for like two weeks. Pretty soon you'll go back to the city and I'll focus on school. It'll just be like before when we didn't know each other."

Namjoon didn't like that answer. He dug deep in his pocket for something, and pulled out a small coin. He squeezed his eyes shut. "I promise nothing will go back to the way it was before." he said aloud. "I won't forget this day, I won't forget your mom's food, and I won't forget you." When his eyes opened again, they found you with a purpose. "Just like your canvas, my life suddenly was filled with color when I saw you. And I want those colors to stay forever."

His words stunned you. It was his voice, and his lips moved but you still couldn't believe it. Surely he must be joking, it would be too perfect and impossible for him to like you. Those moments were made for television, but this was a cruel reality.

"You shouldn't joke like that." you scoffed. Then you did what you thought was fitting, punching him in the shoulder and walking away. But you didn't get far because you still needed him to open the front door. He moved exasperatedly slow on purpose to make you more annoyed but eventually, you were able to go inside. The place had timeless glimmer to it. The marble floor was so clean you could food off of it. The chandelier hung high as if it was heaven itself. Many of the furniture and paintings had been stored off somewhere else. The place felt like a shell now.

Namjoon took everything in slowly, from the touch of the wall, to the feeling of the wooden railing of the grand staircase, to the sound of your footsteps. "This place used to be bigger in mind." he said quietly. You passed the kitchen, where you saw him for the first time at the funeral. The shelves had been cleared of anything breakable now.

"This place is still big to me." you laughed. "Especially that day, there were so many people that I've never seen before. I don't know, it felt like they weren't here for her."

"They weren't." he answered sharply. "They were here for their inheritance. The fake tears they bought for pennies gave them enough to live comfortably for the rest of their lives. She would have felt sad." He stared out of the window to her garden, rose bushes were still alive and thriving. You slowly walked over to him, and placed a hand on his arm, he tensed up a little bit.

"But she must have been so happy to have you there." you consoled. "She loved you a lot. She never stopped telling me about you. You were so perfect in her eyes, I would have believed that you were prince charming, or a god."

"And do you believe that now?" he asked, his sadness was quickly replaced with the aura of confidence. He turned around and crossed his arms.

"You are no way a god." you answered.

"No, the other one."

"Not even close." you teased. You walked off to explore the house further, but he caught your wrist and spun you around to face him again. His features softened, and his lips were parted.

"I wasn't joking before." he professed. "I know it's sudden but I felt it in my heart and I'll regret it if I don't do this."

"Do what?" you whispered. It was dumb to ask considering the moment. His hands raised up to cup your cheek and his eyes closed. Your heart pounded and you mind went wild of thoughts and confusion. It would be easy to step away right now and to end everything, but that wasn't what you wanted. So you let him pull you closer, awaiting for the feeling of his lips.

There was a thud in the back, like someone had thrown something. Both your eyes snapped open as you turn around to see an older man in a green overall. "You're the third couple I've found this week. Go before I call the cops." he yelled, his fingers pointing wildly.

You opened your mouth the answer. "Actually, we're not-"

"Yes sir, we'll leave right away." Namjoon answered, then he grabbed your hand and ran past the man. Your heart was still pounding, but Namjoon seemed so calm. Once you left the gate, he still didn't let go of your hand. He held it firmly as you both walked on.

"You could have told him who you were." you said.

"But then he would have started asking me questions. And there's something else I'd much rather do." His feet stopped moving.

"Like what?" This time, his lips finally reach yours.