Chapter 3

The tray in your hand remained steady, one wrong move and the bowl of steaming hot soup will pour everywhere. At least he wasn't looking at you like he was earlier, he was busy scrolling through the pictures on his camera. He must be a photographer, you thought, but he looks too young for that.

When you set the bowl down, he snapped his head up and lock eyes with you. It sent chills down your back, the closeness, the darkness of his eyes, his monolids, the tan skin. He was definitely not around here. "Here you go." you said quietly. "Eomma wanted me to tell you that she used the best oxtail she could find to make this soup."

He stared at you blankly, but then burst into a small laugh. His face crinkled fully out of true contentment. A sight to behold, you thought. "Tell her I really appreciate it." You lingered a bit longer, wanting to ask him about earlier today or hoping he would bring it up. But some customers called you over to bring more food. Namjoon placed the camera on the table and turned it off. The last picture he saw was one of the ocean shore and the painting of the sunrise. He hadn't meant to, but the tingles told him he needed to take those pictures of you. It was the rawest form of passion that you had for your art. How you hands move, how you tilted your head to watch the sun, the way you tapped your feet to help you concentrate. He would apologize for scaring you after he finished his dinner.

After finishing the task, you headed back to the kitchen. "Eomma," you whispered, "who is he and why are you being so nice to him?"

"What do you mean? I'm nice to everyone." she hummed. It was probably not best to big her any further since she was chopping meat with a cleaver.

You shook your head. "No that doesn't sound like you at all. Do you know how many times you've warned me about handsome city boys?" Every time you brought up idol stars, she would slap you arm and tell you to focus on more probably and stable things. It seemed like she's speaking from experience, although you knew better that it was impossible to marry Jooheon, but you can still dream.

She held to the cleaver in a threatening way and you pulled Jimin, who was washing the dishes, to use him as a shield. His eyes widened and his lips quivered. She put the weapon down for no one could resist Jimin's cuteness. "Shut up, and bring this plate out to him." she yelled.

"Honey. That's premium octopus, you don't even let the mayor eat it." your father called out. Slowly the cleaver went up again and he retreated back in his corner of peeling vegetables. You and Jimin both shuddered, who would dare break your mother's heart, you wondered. Nonetheless, you brought the oyster out to the unknown boy, who glanced up like a lost puppy when the plate touch his table.

"It's her treat." you answered with a sigh. The smell of the braised octopus caught your nose, inviting you to dig in. You mentally slapped yourself.

"Would you like to join me?" he asked suddenly. It caught you off guard and you wished you hadn't stare so hard at the plate.

"No, no, that would be wrong. I should get back to work anyway."

"It looks like business is slowing down and I'm sure your brother can handle it." At the mention of him, you turned your head to see Jimin cleaning up after some table, a grin on his face as he talked to some usual customers.

"Alright then, one bite wouldn't hurt." you shrugged. He smiled and handed you a pair of chopsticks.

"Oh, I'm Namjoon, by the way." He held his hand politely out and you shook it. "I'm visiting here while I'm on a school break."

"Y/N. I'm guessing you already know I'm her daughter. But I'm also here on my break." you answered. You wanted to refrain from talking too much considering you still don't know what his intentions are, but something about his smile is so alluring.

"Areum told me you're an art student, is that right?"

You scoffed, "I'm surprised she told you, I always thought she was too embarrassed of me."

"Nonsense," Namjoon said, "She is proud of you and what you're doing."

"How would you know?"

"Well, for one thing, she wouldn't stop bragging about you to me."

"Oh god," you groaned, then your head landed on the cold metal table. "She's unbelievable."

"Are you alright, Y/N?" Namjoon asked with concern.

When you lifted your head up, your forehead was a little bit red. "No, I'm dying of embarrassment right now. Please don't listen to her, she's just trying to sell her daughter to a handsome guy from the city. I'm not all that great."

Namjoon grunted, you called him handsome. It made him blush for some reason and the tingle began in his index finger. "I'm sure you're wonderful." he whispered, but you heard it. After you two finished, Namjoon went to pay and thank your mother. "I'll have to come back everyday." he commented.

"Please do." she laughed.

"Go back safely." you added quietly and an idea popped up in your mom's head.

"Why don't you walk him back to his place?"

"Eomma, that's crazy. It's dark outside and I am a girl."

"You're being dramatic, no one will do anything to you. But they might hurt him because he's not from around here." she yelled.

"It's okay, Areum, I can walk back myself." Namjoon offered. But your mother was not listening and soon, she shoved the two of you outside.

"Aish, she didn't let me get my jacket." you groaned. On cue, Namjoon took off his coat and draped it over your shoulder. You froze. "It's cold out, you need it too."

"I'm okay. I'm still warm from the soup," he said, obviously a lie since his shoulders were shaking. So you walked closer to him, hoping the warmth of his coat would rub off on him. The walk was tranquil, even the waves seemed to be sleeping. Stars can be seen clearly without the busy lights of the city. "Hey, about this morning, I'm sorry if I scared you. I'm not sure what I was doing there or why I took the pictures of you. I mean no harm, I swear."

"I believe you. I don't know why I do but if you wanted to kill me, you would have already." you laughed. "But you should delete those pictures."

"Of course, if it makes you uncomfortable."

"Well, not really, but I'm sure you got a bad angle of me." He smiled and shook his head.

"That's impossible." Fuck, it's that smile again. He would be trouble, that's for sure.