Chapter 18

Namjoon scoffed when he saw the email. The subject read request for exhibition, it was something he was quite used to. He was about to delete the email completely when he saw the logo of the museum, Reino. His mother had always talked greatly about the place, primarily because she was good business friends with the director. Business friends is much more profitable than actual friends. Namjoon could care less, even having friends would be disappointing. Nevertheless, his mother would be upset if he didn't at least didn't reply back.

The start of the email was generic, every curator has a habit of kissing up to him. Except at least this person did more research on him. "The lack of colors, rather than being an active choice to allow the audience to paint them themselves, is actually your own fear. When I see your photos, I stopped seeing the necessity for colors." Namjoon had to admit, it was the first time he was caught off guard and exposed like this. Normally, other curators would comment what a genius he was for doing this, even though it was nothing new or innovative. Sometimes he wished he wasn't famous, all he wanted to do was take pictures.

His heart did an uncalled for leap when he read the initials of the curator. A coincidence, he repeated, it was only a coincidence because he can't handle knowing otherwise. He spent years suppressing any memories or thoughts of you. He didn't have the heart to throw the necklace away, so it's buried deep somewhere in his mind. He occupied his days in the city with photos, going out with girls his mother would set him up with, and drinking until the sun rises. Then Yoongi invited him to live in the states with him while he studied interior design and that was when Namjoon's career took off as well.

While away, he could pretend that he was someone else because no one knew of his money. They were friends with him because they genuinely wanted to. But it wasn't long until his fame rose and the number of people surrounding him also increased. Soon, he was back to drinking on his own. He made a conscious choice of not showing his face next to his work, he wanted that to be another persona while he keeps himself hidden from the world. On any other day, he would have sent Jungkook to talk to you, but he was curious about the curator who seemed to have peeked inside his brain without his permission.

Also, his hope was beginning to sprout again, though he would never admit it out loud.

There was no doubt that he didn't recognize you. Eight years is a long time, it's enough time for a new layer of skin to form, a skin of which he hasn't touched. But it's not enough time to erase the shadow of the person you truly loved. He had the same sparkle in his eyes, but they're a little bit more tired now. His hair was long and messy, unlike the neat version of him the first time you two met. He stood in place a little bit longer, the fear of colors displaying in the wavering of his eyes and his clenched fist. He wanted it to be you, only so he can begin to feel something again.

You stood up and tentatively held your hand up. He spared a quick gaze at it, then sat down. That was expected, and you were glad. This way, you could continue to hate him. You knew it would be impossible to feel indifferent towards Kim Namjoon.

"Thank you for meeting with me, Mr. Kim." you said politely. "Shall we begin discussing the project?"

"I haven't said I agreed yet." he sneered. You had gotten used to him looking at you from before, but it was far from how it was. Pure anger exuded from him and you couldn't understand why. You should be the one that's offended and upset.

"Of course," you answered, trying to maintain the civilized smile on your face. "I could tell you what an honor it would be for Reino if you choose to work with us and we will do anything in our power to make you visions come to life."

"You can say whatever you want," he leaned back in his chair and crossed his legs. "But I've decided that I don't want to display my photos at Reino."

You blinked. "Mr. Kim, from your emails, it sounded like you were interested in working with Reino, and your mother...." It clicked who his mother is and it made sense why she was good friends with Director Song. Birds of a feather flock together, and rich birds will do anything to maintain their status.

"My mother would not be pleased with me if I stoop so low and do business with you." he emphasized.

You clenched your jaws and dug your fingernails into your palm. "I understand that working with me would be unpleasant for you. And I will be happy to get someone else from my team to discuss this project, if you would like. My director really wants this exhibit to happen."

"Well," he laughed. "I guess you'll have to disappoint her then. I should have my mother talk to her, to warn her against people like you who are just hungry for money." The words sent quivers through you. Whatever hatred he had towards you was much deeper than any superficial reasons. But he made it clear eight years ago that you were poor and that's not up to his standard. Koi splashed around in the water and couples chattered about the journeys ahead. All the while, you were facing the man who broke your heart. Namjoon could say the same, you took the colors from his life.