Chapter 38

Jimin called the night before his showcase. You thought he was having a mental breakdown due to his nervousness but in fact, it was for something else. "Can you invite Namjoon? I don't have his number." the boy had said. Your jaws literally dropped. Namjoon told you about how their shopping date went and you had been worried that Jimin would be too harsh on him. But it seemed the two of them are on the same page right now. When you called to let Namjoon know, he could not stop smiling.

As you opened his door to begin the trip to the academy, you were taken aback by the large bouquet of flowers in the passenger seat. Your heart flutter and you wanted to melt. You grinned, absolutely captivated by the floral color palette. "You didn't have to..."

Namjoon realized he forgot to put it in the back seat and got shy. "Of course I did," he stated. "Jimin is going to love them."

A balloon popped somewhere and your smile dropped, replaced by a flush of embarrassment. "Oh, right, Jimin." you said quietly. Namjoon, being completely oblivious, reached over and place the bouquet in the back gently. You sulkingly got into the car and it drove away. Friends, that was all this was.

"How is your foot?" he asked. The relationship has yet to be defined, which was what you wanted in the first place. You feared that moving too fast would only cause a problem. You still haven't told your parents yet. But leaving things unsaid made things feel unreal and could fade away any time.

"It's fine. I can walk on it now, at least." you answered quietly. Namjoon noticed the sudden shift in the air and wonder if he said the wrong time.

"You look beautiful." he added, wanting to see your smile. The insecurity rose up in you as you mumble a thank you. In the plethora of thoughts you had, one seemed to be hammering on your mind the most. That he was only with you out of obligations and guilt because of what his mother did. Namjoon felt your hand tensing up. "Hey, whatever you're thinking right now, you can tell me, I'm here to listen to you."

"It's just silly," you dismissed.

"Nothing is silly, Y/N, what's wrong?" he pressed on.

"You don't have to be with me, you know." you began with a quiet voice and low trembles. "Like, everything is fine now. Things between us are cleared up. You don't have to feel guilty."

He tilted his head a little, a small habit he picked up from Jungkook. "What are you talking about? Yes, things have cleared up between us. But why do you sound so sad? Did I do something wrong?"

"No, not at all!" you exclaimed. "Forget it. It's really not a big deal."

"Alright then," Namjoon sat back in his seat and drove on, his mind still wondering at what point the conversation turned so sour.

The auditorium was packed. There were a few senior showcases happening, but Jimin was by far the most popular in his class. His fansite was the biggest and loudest. All around you, you saw banners with his name and face. Girls with flower bouquets were ready to attack. Luckily he reserved seats for you two near the front, but there were still people trying to fight you to see him up close. Someone shoved your shoulder and Namjoon was quick to wrap his arms around you protectively. The scent of him filled your vision, and made your heart pounded. It would be unbearable if he ever leaves.

He kept his arms to his sides as the lights dimmed down. Waves of roars erupted as Jimin stepped out on the stage in black tights and a loose black shirt that might as well didn't exist. You scoffed a little, your little brother sure knew how to use his attributes to his advantage. You've seen him dance all your life, but there's something about him being on the stage, in his elements, that's so inspiring and beautiful to watch. His movements were precise and delicate, his body never missed a beat or the chance to speak itself. Some people were born to dance and you were thankful Jimin fulfilled his passion. The boy caught sight of you and smiled fondly in your direction. The girls saw the interaction and glared at you to death.

Namjoon watched as tears escaped your eyes. He thought of the long nights and early mornings you had to work to give your brother the life he wanted. That made Namjoon emotional, he wished he had been there for you through the dark hours and to give you a shoulder to lean on. When Jimin was finished, the whole room stood up as flowers were being tossed on stage. Namjoon said he would wait to give it to Jimin himself, but you knew he wanted to participate in the fangirling himself. A message came through your phone and it was from Jimin. He wanted you guys to meet him backstage so that he could avoid the girls.

Hoseok was the first one to greet you two. Namjoon could finally put a face to the name. Then an uneasy feeling came over him that made him wanted to keep a closer watch on you and not have Hoseok near you. The man smiled contagiously as he embraced you tightly. Namjoon tensed up. "Aigoo, Y/N, you made it. I've missed you so much."

"Hello oppa. I've missed you too." you replied. The two of you walked side by side as Namjoon sulkingly walked behind. "I never got to thank you properly for teaching Jimin and taking care of him while he's here. I'm sure he'll miss you the most." Speaking of the devil, he ran with all his might to tackle you. Although he was sweating and panting, you hugged him back. "I'm so proud of you, my Jiminie."

"Thank you Noona, I love you so much." Then he turned to Hoseok and pulled the man down to his height. "I'll miss you, hyung." he mumbled.

"This isn't the end kid, you're still stuck with me for a few months until your actual graduation." Hoseok reminded. "But..."

"But what?" Jimin asked.

"We can be in each other's lives longer if..."

"If?"

"If Y/N agrees to date me like I've been asking." the man shrugged, then he smirked, which was a dangerous sign to Namjoon, who up until now, stood and watched. You turned to Jimin who knew the predicament you're in, flustered. That was when Namjoon strutted forward, an alpha glare in his eyes. Your stomach churned at the interactions, but it was kind of a turn on. Namjoon realized where the conversation was headed this morning and felt shame he didn't make things right when he should have. You were looking for reassurance, not just healing. He needed you to know that he was here to stay because he loves you.

He held his hand out to Hoseok, who shook it gingerly, all confidence fading. "I don't think we've officially met." he began, voice as smooth as caramel. "I'm Kim Namjoon, and I'm Y/N's boyfriend."