Chapter Thirty

Brianna's Pov

It really hurts when you're sad and you can't do anything about it. You can't show your frustrations in public just because you don't want to be seen as weak. The worst part of sadness, is the type where you feel bad and tell everyone 'I'm okay' but the truth is, you're actually broken but you have to act chill because people are always watching and waiting for you to fall.

My best friend hated me and Nathan and his friends heard what I said about my past.

So embarassing.

I wanted to cry so bad but I couldn't. I just couldn't.

"Thanks for bringing me home." My voice came out softer than usual. As much as I hated it, I looked weak and pitiful.

"Sure. Where's your first aid kit?"

"You don't need to help me. I'll take care of it myself."

"I said, where is your first aid kit?" He used a commanding tone on me.

"It's in the cabinet in my bathroom." I replied meekly.

"I'll go get it. Don't move."

I looked at my ankle. I was surprised we didn't go to the hospital. The swell was starting to reduce and the frozen peas he bought from a convenience store started melting on my leg.

Few minutes later, he came back with the first aid box. He sat on the coffee table in front of me and placed my leg gently on his. He removed the peas, then slowly he wiped my leg with a towel. Everything he did, he did it with gentleness and my heart throbbed faster with every single cell in my body.

He helped me put on the ankle compression sleeve carefully. I could see that he was trying hard to not hurt me.

"And.....done. Does it still hurt?"

"Just a little."

"The pain should go in a week. If not, you'll have to see a doctor."

I nodded. "Thank you."

Suddenly, his stoic expression became softer as he searched my face.

"Please, stop. Don't give me that look. I'm strong. Even though my leg may be bad, I'm not weak. So, you don't have to pity me."

He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose.
"Why do you act so tough? It's okay to not be okay?"

"Nathan, please don't. Whatever thing you heard me say, please forget about it. I-i can't and i'm fine."

He smiled. "All, i wanted to tell you was that you look...beautiful."

That was the first compliment, he had ever given me. I was utterly shocked for the first time in my life.

He pulled out a green suede box from his suit pocket. "Happy birthday Brianna. Go ahead, open it."

My eyes watered but i held my tears back. Despite being mean to him, using him and intentionally cooking concussions for him, he's still here when nobody is. He didn't even ask me any questions about what he heard instead he helped me fix my ankle and now, he got me a gift.

I slowly opened the Van Cleef & Arpels box and my eyes widened when i saw a rose diamond necklace. It was one of the rarest diamonds in the world. What makes it so rare is both it's size and intensity of pink. In 2017, it was sold to an unknown bidder for 700 million dollars and here it was, sitting on my palm.

"Gosh! No, I can't accept this. It's too much. I'm sorry, I can't." I gave him back the box.

He placed it back in my palms and covered his hands on mine."It's rude to return a gift."