Chapter Eighteen

Brianna's Pov

Five months had passed by already. The pictures were out with the headline: "Is the workaholic heiress, finally settling down with a man?

All the pictures came out good except one. The pictures in the cafe where Nathan told me his secret. I didn't want Paul to use that one but I forgot to tell him. I only remembered the day the pictures came out.

I didn't hear from Nathan so I assumed he wasn't the type that listened to celebrity gossip but i was scared about what he'd do if he found out.

My conscience didn't let me rest. I was secretly afraid that one day he would find out and i had been having nightmares ever since. Last night, he was pursuing me with a shovel in his hand. I ran as hard as I could but it felt like I wasn't running. When he finally cut up to me, a loud noise woke me up and i jerked out of bed.

It was Friday and I just arrived at my apartment in New York last night. I steadied my breathing from the previous nightmare and listened to the heavy rain drop on the roof.

I planned to start work with full effect on Monday but the steady noise I heard from the next door, made me get out of bed.

The sky was dark because of the storm and I couldn't tell the time. I checked the wall clock and it read 8:00 am. I washed my hair, showered, then changed into my black jumper and grey polka dot sweatpants. It took me two minutes to decide on the shoes i was going to wear. My eyes roamed around my shoe closet and settled on my black pumps. I looked at myself in the mirror and then I remembered Nathan's words.

"You should let your hair down."

A smile crept on my face as i released my curly hair from it's bun.

Satisfied with my outfit, hair and makeup, I grabbed my car keys and locked the door to my apartment

Suddenly, Miss Tessa rushed up to me. She was a middle aged widow who had nothing to do than to gossip about every tenant in the building with mean loud friends. Apparently, her husband had willed the apartment building to her and she decided to make everybody's life a movie to her friends. I wanted to buy the building badly because it was the only apartment that suited my taste and closer to work and when I proposed to buy it from her, she refused. She insisted that i be a tenant.

"Miss Brianna! You're back. If i may ask, where did you go?"

I smiled. "I don't see how that's your business, Miss Tessa."

"I'm just saying. Nowadays, girls who are lonely at your age and love working in the business world, perform insemination. I don't think you should follow the trend. I'm speaking from experience. Being a single mother can be terrifying."

"Mm, thanks for the advice." I tried to get to the elevator but she blocked me.

Did you hear?"

I sighed, "Hear what, Miss Tessa."

"Someone is moving into this floor. That's what all the hustle and bustle is for in the next room. Apparently, he's big money rich and they are remodeling the whole apartment to his style." She kept her hands on cheek as she whispered.

"Well, that's good for you Miss Tessa. As you can see, I'm ready for work and i'm running late. I have to go."

I actually didn't mind if I was late, I just wanted to leave her presence.

"But you didn't hear the best part, he b-"

I walked away from her quickly and once I got into my Escalade SUV, I texted Andrew to meet me at the office.

It was already 9:00 am when I got to the office. New York's traffic was one of the reason i searched for an apartment closer to work and the heavy storm didn't help either. I drove inside the company's parking lot and went to my usual parking space but instead, i found Jake's car there. I was only gone for 5 months and the guy was already trying to take everything that's mine.

After thirty minutes of looking for an empty spot-which was unusual for me, i finally packed mine close to a red Rolls-Royse. I had never seen a red royse in the parking lot. They were usually all black.

Maybe we had a vistor.

Brushing the thoughts off, I held my head up high and walked into the main entrance. As i slid my ID through the gates, the staring began.

"She's back? When did she get back! I heard she had a really bad break-up, I pity the employers in her department. She looks prettier. Is that her real hair?." I ignored them as I walked to the elevator.

Once the doors opened, Andrew was already there holding my coffee cup.

"Looking....good....boss." He smiled and gasped for air. He spoke like he was out of breath.

"Why are you wet and panting?" I eyed him before I took the coffee.

"I ran.....here. You didn't.....tell me you were back or resuming."

"Now, you know. Uhm, who is Lisa and why does she want me to call her?" I quirked my brow when I saw a phone number written on the coffee cup.

He looked puzzled for awhile. "Oh, she works in the coffee shop i go to. She wrote her number..thinking the coffee was mine. She doesn't know i'm married that's the- "

I cut him off. "If you're cheating on your wife, don't let her think it's with me because i would kill you from the embarrassment. Is that clear?"

"You misunderstand. I love my wife."

"Of course, you should. Anyways, i don't want to bore myself with your life's drama. What's my schedule for today?"

"I heard there's a very important staff meeting going on. Like right now."

"Alright then, let's go." I ignored the jaw drop from my employees and followed Andrew to the conference room.

As we arrived, I took a deep breath and signaled Andrew to open the door.

Don't forget to vote, comment and
share.