Walk #26

Savannah Underwood.

This is it. Those three words repeated in my head as our entire class walked to the stage in the cafeteria. I was hoping May 29th wouldn't come around as fast as it did, but it's finally here and I'm ready.

"Breathe." Chris mouthed to me on the other side of the stage. I was shaking terribly because I was the only one who had to make a long speech! And I didn't really prepare one, so I'm just going to say what's on my mind.

After watching students and more students get up, take their diploma, and say what they wanted to say took forever. Especially because my last name started with a U, so even if I wasn't valedictorian I'd have to watch people say some real stupid stuff until it was my turn. Except for Chris. He just said thanks and that he had a good time in high school. I'm sure he did.

"And now for our valedictorian. This young lady-" the principal started before the councilor jumped up.

"May I introduce her?" She asked him. He looked a bit shocked but handed the microphone to her after a few seconds of staring.

"Go right ahead." He said sitting down. She smiled and got in center stage.

"This young lady is amazing! I've spoken with her, one on one, a few times throughout the year and in the beginning she didn't really open up. She just wanted to get in and get out! She didn't even want to go to college and not every kid does, but she deserves to be there; she needs to be there and I couldn't take no for an answer. A few weeks ago though, she was talking to me and she sounded so happy and excited about things. Then she came back telling me she decided to go to college. Plus she's valedictorian? I think that's astounding! Her name is Savannah Underwood and here she is!" Everyone clapped for me as I took a deep breath and walked over to her with a smile on my face.

"Thank you." I said hugging her as she handed me my diploma.

"You're welcome, sweetheart. I'm very proud of you though, Savannah. You and your little boyfriend who can't seem to take his eyes off you." Ms. Jones said looking over at Chris who was staring dead at me but I liked it.

"That's Chris for you." I said smiling. She chuckled and say down beside the principal. I took another deep breath and looked into the audience. My mom was here, Chris's parents were here, and I even noticed the same man who apparently is my dad and his son who is my brother here. I was boiling inside when I made eye contact with him but I'm not gonna get mad. This is my day.

"Go ahead, now." The principal said quietly. I snapped out of my gaze and looked at my diploma.

"First of all, I just want to say thank you. Thank you to Ms. Jones the councilor, thank you to the principal, my friends, family, and even my haters. I'm not gonna say any names though." I started quickly looking back at Taylor and Jasmine.

"Such a bitch." Jasmine mouthed while looking back at me. I laughed under my breath and turned back to the audience.

"I would really like to thank my boyfriend though, Chris Brown. He made such a big impact on, not just my last year of high school but my life. There's so much you can learn from him and I know I learned a lot!" A couple people in the audience clapped and others responded to what I said with a simple nod or just a smile. "Let's just say I'm very grateful for him coming into my life. I'm grateful for everyone who has helped me in someway at this amazing school. I've learned so much along the way and now I'm ready to begin my life. Going to college is a great start."

With that being said, they handed me my plaque and medal, and that was it. That was our graduation and I cannot believe it's over. I know since I decided to go college, it's not like anything is over for me yet! But I'm not a kid anymore and I wish I could relieve my childhood over again. To those who are still young, cherish those moments while you can. Do what you want while you're young and don't take shit from no one. Not even your parents.