Walk #65

Chris Brown

"What're you doing here?" My dad asked me coming into my old room in his house.

I came here earlier just because I needed to go somewhere where I could be alone and just have time to myself. This was the first place that came to mind.

"I just needed somewhere to think." I said staring at the ceiling.

"Think at your apartment. You don't have that for no reason."

"Too many memories."

"Too many memories of what?" He asked.

"Her."

"Her? Savannah?" I sighed.

"Yeah. It sucks ... I can't even think straight in my own house without thinking about her."

"Did something happen?" He sat down on the bed beside me.

"Not yet."

"Is this about you going into the Air Force?" I glanced at him and sat up.

"Yes, it is. And our relationship is going downhill right now because of it."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I told myself that me going into the Air Force would not interfere with my relationship and it is. My nightmare that came true."

"I thought she wanted you to do this."

"She does, dad. But the amount of time I'll be gone is really getting to her. Four years? That's like my whole life."

"It's not, Chris." He chuckled.

"It's gonna feel like it without Savannah. That's my baby girl. I love her, she'll always be my baby. And I don't know what'll happen when that time comes, when I leave, but whatever does she's still my girl. She'll always be."

"I understand, son. But remember, this is all about you okay? Whether you have a girlfriend or not, it comes down to you at the end of the day. Your girlfriend is either with you or she's not."

"She's with me, dad. There's no doubt in my mind she isn't. She's just stressed. And when she's stressed, I'm stressed. And she's hurting. And when she's hurting, I'm hurting. I'm hurting real bad right now."

"Why?"

"Because us breaking up has been on my mind. And it's not me cuz I don't wanna break up with her. But it's a different story with Savannah."

Before he could answer, my phone vibrated in my pocket. I pulled it out and it was a text from Savannah:

Needing my baby right now . Please come .

"I gotta go." I stood to my feet grabbing my things.

"All right. It was nice talking to you, and remember what I said. This is all about you. No one else."

"Thanks, dad." He gave me a quick hug and I rolled out of there.

**

"How ya feeling, baby? You okay?" I asked kissing Savannah's forehead and taking my shoes off at the same time.

"Yes. I just really missed you and I wanted you to spend the night with me."