Chap 38

(It just got real) . . .

Piper turned towards me, all traces of her fond and kind face dissappeared, as if I had taken it out of her.

"Annabeth." She stared down at her floor. "Please leave."

Percy seemed shocked at what she said, I did too. "Piper, are you okay? We came here to comfort Annabeth, remember?"

Jason turned towards Percy, not even taking a glance at me. "I know why Annabeth isn't telling us everything."
Percy turned towards me, confusion smeared on his face.

I expected Jason to say because she doesn't trust us or even worse, she's using us.

It wasn't any of those, it was something much worse, so bad that I don't think any word could have described it to its full extent.

"She's working with Luke." Jason pointed at me. "Think about it, she won't tell us anything about her, and she says she can change him."

Percy seemed torn between the two of us, as if trying to see who was lying.

"Stop spreading lies." I mustered, though my voice was cracking. "You don't tell your friends everything, you know that, right?"

I glanced at everyone else. "Guys?"

Then Frank stood up, and ultimately made everything worse. "Remember that day in Montauk? I knew you had a dark secret, and this must be it."

Oh Gods, no.

I threw my hands up. "Let's not jump into conclusions."

Thalia raised an eyebrow. "Is this a trap?"

"A trap?" My face started to burn. "You think I'm with Luke?"

Thalia had no emotion on her face, only her bottom lip quivered at the slightest. "You always used to listen to him, even when he was being brash."

I started to laugh nervously. "This is a joke right?" Nobody smiled. "You guys are all pranking me, and none of it is real." My fingers started to tremble, "right?".

Leo finally spoke up. "You weren't even that scared when Luke came to us in the hospital." He breathed out. "You must be working for him."

"For him? What am I, an object?" My tone started to raise. "I am not siding with Luke, but you guys always believe Jason right? He's always right, because his father is Zeus, the leader of the Olympia-"

"Don't bring him into this." Jason growled, his voice sending cold shivers down my back.

My tongue started to say words I would later regret. "Your father hasn't even spoken to you, right?" I did not let him answer. "And yet now you're acting like as if he means something to you."

Jason stared at me, his face a pale white. Maybe because I was right, or maybe because I went too far.

I had to stop this.

"You guys aren't thinking straight," neither was I, "Let's just forget about this argument okay?"

Percy nodded too, but wearily, as if he too had caught on to Jason's words.

And that is how my friendship with the others, including Percy, had changed.

For better or for worse.

~~~

3 months later

I held hands with Percy, walking in unison, my fingers intertwined with his.

"So we have the plan formulated?" He nervously asked, as if he was about to say something else.

I nodded my head, it was too peaceful for me to break the silence with my voice.

I glanced towards Percy, thinking to myself about him. Which I seemed to do a lot now.

Percy seemed distant. His hair more disheveled, as if he didn't even bother to try tame it, and the amount of times he smiled ultimately decreased. Annoying or not, this Percy was different.

And I did not like it.

He was wearing a light blue t-shirt with a black hoodie, his pants a dark grey, almost black, and his sneakers blue.

(Since I'm english but pjo is in New York, I had to Google up most of these words because I didn't know what they meant.

I mean, SNEAKERS?! Trainers are the opposite of sneaking, you freaking run with them 😂😂, joking by the way, don't get offended)

He seemed to notice me looking. "What? Is there something on my face?" He started to wipe his face using his free hand furiously.

I laughed, and then shook my head. "There's nothing there, seaweed brain, I was just wondering."

"About what?" His tone was gentle, as if he knew what I was going to say.

I sighed. "The others. They don't speak to me like how they used to." I let go of his hand. "Even you."

Percy didn't even say anything, just breathed out a sigh as well. "I know, we've been distant to you."

"I thought so." I said bitterly. "You still think I'm with Luke, isn't it?"

"No -, Gods I can't lie to you." He ran a hand through his messy dark hair. "We talk about you when you're not here. About whether we believe you.

"We feel guilty talking about you behind your back, and that's why we don't hang around with you that much." His face was red with embarrassment.

"All seven of you?" My voice barely a whisper.

He nodded, looking down at the ground.

"This is unfair." I sounded like a spoilt kid, but, to be honest, I didn't care. "You guys have each other and you guys have each other's backs." I fixed my face to a hard glare. "I don't have anyone to speak to anymore, I thought you guys just didn't like me. But now you're talking about me behind my back?"

"Annabe-"

I threw my hand towards him. "I don't need an explanation. Percy, I haven't spoken to Luke for over 4 months!"

Realisation dawned over Percy's face.

"Oh Gods, I should tell the others th-"

"Oh yeah, because they will believe you isn't it?" Tears were forming in my eyes. "But they don't trust me, countless times I told them I wasn't with Luke. And I bet you Percy once you tell them the truth, they'll come back to me."

I started walking off, hearing Percy's calls.

But I didn't care, they didn't trust me, and I didn't trust them.

So much for saving the world.

You can't even save yourself.