C20 - The Unfairness of Rulan

Depuis le début

The two elderly couple's servants who accompanied them were merely just two or three but there are twenty thirty big chests in the wagons, each and every heavy. After Minglan heard the report from busybody Xiaotao, she lamented: seems like being a private tutor in the ancient times is very profitable.

Inviting Mister Zhuang, Sheng Hong originally did it for the studies of the two oldest sons but after Governess Kong's profound education, he felt that he should not waste the benefits from having qualified teachers. Thus he respectfully discussed with Mister Zhuang and added a sum of money to count in the three girls and the youngest Little Boy Feng to sit in.

The day before school opens, Sheng Hong and Wang Shi called the children before them to warn them. Firstly it is Changbai and Changfeng. Sheng Hong as usual start to speak from prosperous society peace citizens to bring honour to the ancestors, saying a few words in the middle about faithful patriots and such. The two big boys bowed their heads and replied yes.

"Mister Zhuang's knowledge is excellent, although he is a little old but he is well-known quick creativeness. He taught people for ten over years and is the clearest regarding taking the imperial examinations. You guys must properly ask for advices, cannot be lazy! Must not depend on your achievements and talents and then show off and be haughty. If I were to learn of it, I will immediately break your bones!"

This were Sheng Hong's concluding remarks, harshly and sternly reprimanding. According to the Confucian school of thought, fathers cannot be friendly towards the sons and the best is to beat them thrice a day but towards the daughters who in the future will become part of another family still can be a little friendly. When Sheng Hong turned to the three daughters, he looked more friendly. "Although it is said that girls do not study till they are politically astute but to conduct oneself in the society, sensibility is the most important. It is also good to know more principles so as to avoid being mocked for your small-mindedness. I have already discussed with Mister Zhuang, from now on you three will attend classes in the morning and need not attend the afternoon classes on essay writings and regulations in taking examinations."

When Sheng Hong said these words, Wang Shi's face turned a little green. She herself is illiterate, as for what is wet and dry it is even more foreign to her. It is still alright when they were newlyweds but as the days go, it is inevitable for Sheng Hong to be a little gloomy. He posed himself to be refined and scholarly so when he sighs 'the moon waxes and wanes' facing the moon. Even if he does not expect his wife to immediately pair it with 'there is joy and sorrows, parting and reuniting', he expects her to understand that her husband is lamenting that the world is transient and not talking about irrelevant things like 'today is not the fifteen, it is obvious that the moon is not round'![7]

As time pa.s.ses, Wang Shi became aware that she is spoiling the scenery in this aspect thus she proactively advocated for her daughters to study. Hualan is still okay but Rulan is completely like her. In other aspects, she is still quick-witted but only detests the books. Being forced to learn a few words everyday, simply cannot be compared to Molan who recites and composes poems everyday. Thinking till here, Wang Shi's expression became constrained and said "What your Father said is right, it is not for you girls to learn poems and essays these superficial things but it is honourable to learn some principles. In the future when managing the household, there is style!" Molan lowered her head eve more, Rulan breathed a sigh of relief.

Sheng Hong felt that Wang Shi's words were not anything wrong and then did not say anything. He suddenly remembered something "When going to classes, the three of you must not wear that big gold necklace." Turning towards Wang Shi "The scholars usually feel gold and silver are only material goods. The three gold necklaces Big Brother gave are especially dazzling, it is still okay when receiving guests but when meeting mister it is showing off."