CHAPTER FIFTY TWO

Slowly, Kuzo took her through therapy and gradually she was getting back on her feet. Her hair began to grow back, and she was putting on weight again.

Each day was a new adventure. It hadn't been easy, but Jean and Daniela stayed a month, so did her mother Liz. Neeka had to go back to school, Summer hated to see her go, they had bonded so well. Neeka was her ride most of the time, she planned picnics while Kuzo had to work and they'd have fun all day but once she left, Kuzo got Daniela and Jean to come around, they agreed.

He got back from work to find all three of them fast asleep on his floor, his living room was covered in feathers and he knew they had had a pillow fight. He would have been concerned but he imagined it had made her happy. Seeing all three of them like that made him smile. He didn't disturb them, all he did was walk up to his room, take a shower and return to his lab to work.

***

They saw Belgium together, every night.

Soon it was just the two of them, and he had his best friend again. The wheel chair was gone, her hair was a small thick curly afro and she'd began to exercise, she was back in shape and kept talking about starting a gym or something.

All Kuzo could say was slow down Summer, we're in no rush.

"We?" She had asked.

"You heard me" He said and kissed her on the nose. She giggled.

They took a long walk in the park at Sunset. It was autumn and pretty cold. She wore a thick turtled neck knitted sweater with her faded jeans, and he in a body hugging teal, long sleeved shirt.

His arm around her neck, hers across his waist.

"Do you still think of Egypt?" She asked. It was the first time she had spoken about Egypt since he reappeared in her life.

"Always" He said.

"Me too, every sunset, all I think of is the desert, and Nefret"

He kissed her on the temple and she giggled.

"Thanks for not dying on me" He said and she laughed.

***

Summer was up early that morning. As always she went to the bathroom first but before her pyjamas could come down her heart rose up to her mouth, she froze when she saw the ring in its glass case on the toilet seat. Then she burst out laughing.

"Are you kidding me!" She screamed out so loud to make sure he heard her wherever he was in the house. She grabbed it and ran out of the bathroom and down the stairs, she found Kuzo in the Kitchen, in a white shirt, unbuttoned. He had crossed his legs as he leaned across the kitchen counter munching on an apple. Summer stopped at the doorway, smiled at him  run to him and jumped into his arms. He caught her in time, as she hugged him tightly wrapping her legs around him.

"Yes!, yes!, yes!" She kept saying, then she kissed him, his lips were sweet from the apple he ate.

"The toilet, really?" She laughed.

"I needed to do something stupid with a one time opportunity, I'd never get to propose to you again, besides its something no one has ever done"

She just remained there in his arms, hugging him.

"I love you Kuzo"

"I love you more, Summer"

SIXTY YEARS LATER

Kuzo walked into the building, the nurses smiled.

"Here to see your grandma again?"

What a laugh they would all have had if he had told them the woman he was visiting at the hospital was in fact his wife.

He smiled.

"I'm sure she's waiting for you" The nurse looked at the gentleman beside him. He had never visited before.

Both men walked down the hallway and into the room where she waited.

Kuzo opened the door.

"Dad I don't think I can do this"

"It will make her happy Enzo" Kuzo said to his son who looked his age.

Summer walked away from the window.

She was old, her hair, completely white, her hands wrinkled.

"These flowers...they're old" She turned to them and said.

"I brought fresh ones" Kuzo walked up to her and hugged her.

"Mom"

"Enzo?, you came"

"You remember me?"

"Sometimes" She replied and he giggled.

She was always sarcastic and funny.

"Guess its my lucky day"

"Your father tells me you feel sorry for me, don't, you will grow old too, we should rather feel sorry for him" She whispered into Enzo's ear and he laughed.

"I heard that" Kuzo giggled as he worked on the flowers.

"Come, tell me about, life" Summer took her son's hand and pulled him to the bed where they both sat. They began to chat.

Kuzo looked out the window and there were his parents on the streets waving up at him.

He waved back with a smile.

"Do you think he will be okay Essien?" Maia asked.

"He will be fine" Essien couldn't be more proud.

The end

"All's well, that ends well"

- Shakespeare

Nevertheless, nothing has changed,
he is the same...hash tag, God.