CHAPTER SIX

Mabu stayed in the camp offering her services and made friends with the man who introduced himself as Tim. He thought Mabu their ways, history,  stories and why they were at war. He showed her many things and found her interesting too. She was fearless and would often stray away and meditate under the trees.

She was a mystery to him but she never said where she came from or who her family was or how she lost her sight and he never asked again.

One night they sat together on a bench talking when suddenly she stood, she took a few steps and then turned to him and smiled.

"Your wife would have a baby soon"

then she walked away.

Tim didn't get the news till weeks later, he received a telegram. He found Mabu dressing some fish she had caught.

"How did you know?" he sounded so excited.

"You didn't believe me when I told you?"

"Who are you?" Tim asked and she looked up at him, almost as if she was looking right into his eyes.

"I am no one" She said with a smile.

"Don't worry you will see them both, the war would end in a year and a quarter, on the day you find an apple in the snow, all will be well Timothy Howard. She stood up, picking the pan with the fish in it, she walked to the kitchen where the women cooked and handed the pan to them.

"You caught these?"

"Uh huh, in the lake"

"There are no fishes in the lake, or so we thought"

"Well you were wrong" Mabu smiled and turned to walk away.

"And oh, make sure Tim has some of that" She turned to say and she was gone.

***

Geeces

Kuzo hadn't spoken to his mother in days, he wouldn’t even kiss her goodbye before going to school,

And it pierced her heart.

"Kuzo, you're hurting your mother by your actions" his father said to him.

"I don't want to talk to her" Kuzo said plainly.

"Well you have to"

"Not today" He picked up his hover-glide.

"See you later dad" He said and walked out.

***

Little did Kuzo know he was being followed, he had eyes on him on most days.

"We've spotted her son" The stalker reported.

"He's going to take the airbus, make sure he brings her out.

"Copy"

***

Kuzo got to the elevator that took him up to board the airbus as his glide was programmed by his father to not fly that high.

Pretty neat. Although Kuzo was from a pretty rich home, his parents had thought him to be modest, he wore regular Geecian clothes and dressed the way other boys dressed He was not a show off although many suspected it. Their home was modest too but they took vacations often every year.

"Hey" A voice said beside him, he turned.

"Hey Sama, never met you here"

"Yeah, my dad often drops me off but he's kinda busy today"

"Oh" The elevator door opened and they walked into the airbus together. They found a seat and sat beside each other.

"Did you complete your assignment?"

"I did, dad helped me, I just didn't understand the question on quantum mechanics so I don't know if I answered it right. Let me have a look at it if you don't mind"

"I don't mind, sure, thanks" She reached into her bag and brought out her info-slate.

"I haven't e-mailed it yet to Mr. Mensa'hara"

"Cool, we could make the corrections quickly" Kuzo said with a smile as Sama found where she had saved the assignment then handed it to Kuzo who read through.

"This is……"

"Messed up right?"

Sama made a face, she was going to embarrass herself.

"Maybe you shouldn't read that" She tried snatching the digibook back but he pulled it away from her grip.

"No wait….it's perfect, my dad, he'd want to see this"

"Really?"

"Yeah he loves this stuff, but your theory….its advanced"

"My dad is a scientist too, he just blurted it out matter of factly like I asked him how to pluck an orange from a tree" They both giggled.

"I know right"

"Thanks Kuzo, this helps, I thought I messed up, you're truly amazing"

"Pinshi" He shrugged his shoulders.

"Pinshi?"

"It’s a binjun expression and it means 'that’s just me'

"I see" Sama said, Kuzo felt embarrassed, realizing he had bought the binju up again.

"Tell me more about the Binjun"

"Nah, maybe some other time" He said and that was when the airbus shook. There were screams.

"What was that?" Sama panicked.

It shook again and tilted to one side. Sama screamed. Kuzo grabbed hold of her.

"The bolts" Kuzo whispered. He began to study the movements of the airbus as it continued to speed.

"We need to move to the other side it will slow the bus down, come on" Kuzo began to pull her in the opposite direction.

"You two need to get into your seats and strap your belts on" The coach host said.

"The weight on this side of the bus will bring it down if we don't get everyone to move to the other side now!" Kuzo said.

The host looked at him and them began to scream to everyone to move before the other bolt holding the airbus snapped.

Everyone did as they were told, found seats and strapped in, Kuzo did same with Sama holding unto her hand. She was shaking. He was scared too his heart was racing and he silently prayed that the other bolt didn't snap, if it did, they were going to fall  300fts down.