CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE

Kuzo least expected to see Nefret the way she was, beautiful in every sense. Her brown her looked cotton soft, her skin, nearly milky and her eyes were just as brown as the desert sands. She had perhaps the most gorgeously defined features, her beauty was striking and he knew why she was loved by the King although she lived on the outskirts of town. She had a young son, his name was Ismail. Perhaps she was not a native of Egypt but her history wasn’t why he was there.

Nefret saw the Princess ride on a camel and behind her, Kuzo and his dog, all three disguised as travelers. Raheema dismounted the camel and hugged Nefret who was pleased at her arrival. After the two ladies exchanged greetings and complements, Nefret turned to Kuzo.

"And who do you travel with?"

"His name is Kuzo, he is the son of the nature goddess, you told us about her"

Nefret stared at Raheema, and then at Kuzo with an intensity that made him wonder what she was thinking.

"If you're here, then it means a great befalls you, you're just a boy, you're not ready for this, for any of this" Nefret said and he frowned.

"My mother sent me here for a reason"

"The staff of wonders isn't here, you seek the hidden pieces but you won't find them in Egypt"

"The staff of wonders, what is it?"

"A remarkable gift left to those of pure heart of goodwill, some say it is twin to the staff of Moses, others say it is the staff of Moses, we can never know, Egypt is its earthly origin, many have killed for that staff and your mother has seen it happen, she has lost and recovered it countless times, finally deciding that it was too dangerous among men, she prayed for it to be taken back or better kept hidden from the eyes of god. Her prayer was answered when a strange man appeared to her. He wouldn’t tell his name, for three days he stayed with her and on each day he asked to see the staff. He touched it on all three days and every day, it lost a few inches. He told her that immediately he left, she should ran as fast as she could to the Altar in the tabernacle of Moses, she did, and there at the foot of the altar was the staff in three pieces. She had no choice but to hide them, so she did. Even I do not know the whereabouts but she said she would send a son and only he could interpret the codes she left. And believe me my ancestors have tried for centuries to decode it but we haven't been able to.

"Maybe because she doesn’t use a language of your time"

Kuzo said.

"What languages exist in yours that don't in my time?" Nefret asked, interested. Kuzo smiled.

"Can I have a look at the codes she left first?"

"Sure, come on in" She led them into her tent and to their surprise, there were snakes everywhere.

Kuzo only realized the gravity of the situation when he almost sat on one.

"What are all these snakes for?"

"They're my pets, misunderstood creatures they are"

"I harvest them from the desert, Ismail does most of the time actually, I'll take that" She picked up the snake from the pillow and put it in a barrel.

"I hate snakes" Kuzo confessed.

Both girls giggled.

Nefret returned with a very expensive looking box. He knew for sure nothing from the future could be sent back into the past so they definitely weren't technological stuff unless of course she created it right there in Egypt.

Raheema handed the case to Kuzo.

"Careful there" She said.

Slowly he set it down and stared at it.

"Open it Kuzo" Raheema urged.

He did open it and in it were stones, on each piece an inscription, he was supposed to put them together like a puzzle. One by one he took them out and stared at them. Truly they weren't Egyptian hieroglyphs but he could swear he had seen them before.

One by one he put them together.

"This one is a date, it is in Binjun"

"What does it say?"

"13071003 followed by an X"

"What does it mean?"

"October 13th 1307" Kuzo said.

"That is this year, 1307, what happens on this day?"

"I think I know where the last piece is"

"Where is it?"

"With the Templars, in France" Kuzo said.

"Well let's send them a message" Raheema said.

"We cannot, the Templars do not receive private messages and if a letter such as this one ends up in the wrong hands our mission to recover the last piece could very well be futile.

"What do we do then?"

"We must find a way to get to France" Kuzo turned to Raheema.

"I'd work something out" Raheema said.