CHAPTER TWENTY NINE

The old man led him to the grave which was a pile of loose sand and a single white rose, blossoming mysteriously in the humid climate of that particular time and place.

"Is this it?" Summer asked. The old man nodded. Kuzo knelt on one knee and touched the soil. He gathered a bit up in his hand, squeezed it and loosened his grip as dark soil gracefully returned to the ground.

"My brother" He said and then he began to dig with his fingers.

"You could just use the hoe" Summer pointed to the old man's hoe but Kuzo had already felt something under the soil, he dug faster with his hands and pulled out a black box.

It looked ordinary to him but to Summer it was out of her world.

"You really are from the future aren't you?" Her gaze still locked on the black tiny crypt.

"Its onyx glass.

It was an enchanting piece.

"It should stay hidden from the white people"

"Yea especially in a time like this"

"Who's here?" the voice of a stranger caught their attention. They froze.

"It's them" Summer said.

Kuzo picked up the box which was as light as a piece of paper. Summer might have noticed how easily he had lifted it.

"Is it that light?" She asked.

"We should go" The old man interrupted them.

"It's been dehulked" Kuzo said trying to determine which direction the voice came from. Summer only stared at him in a manner than meant 'am I supposed to know what dehulked means?"

"As in, its relativity to gravity has been miniaturized to its magnetic field since gravity is a direct result of a magnetic field, its basic science Summer, we don't have time"

"Yeah yeah, let's go" They began to walk briskly yet quietly away from the direction of the voices which seemed to be drifting as they got away.

Then suddenly, the rattle began to emanate light in a pulsating manner.

"What are you doing, we're gonna get caught Kuzo" Summer warned.

"It's not me, I'm not doing this" He began to examine the rattle and then he opened it just as three capsules fell out. Each of different colours. One white, one a very pale blue and the other was amber.

"What are those?"

"I should have known" Kuzo whispered and then he picked them up from the ground just as two white men appeared.

They spoke a language Kuzo wasn’t familiar with, obviously it was Danish but to his surprise, Summer replied.

He turned to her in shock as she spoke the words.

"You speak Danish?" He whispered to her.

"My step mother is from Denmark"

"You speak English?" One of the white men said to their surprise and to his as well.

"As a matter of fact we do" The old man said.

"You need to let them go" The old man said.

"Not a chance, and what's that you've got there?" One of them asked, his eyes glued to the box.

"Nothing of any value to you" Summer replied.

"I think not"

Kuzo thought of how to use the capsules, he had seen his parents use it to transport them from Geeces but he still needed a 'doorway'. His recalled his mother talk about time travel in her stories, she had said, 'to open a door, you must know what it is, to discover a hidden door, you have to know what it looks like, to create a door between dimensions, you have to exist in both dimensions simultaneously and in neither, simultaneously. It didn't make sense, it still didn't, but he'd seen his father use portal science many times, and in Geeces it was as easy as algebra but in a time like this with less technology, how was he going to even try.

Momentum, relativity, a wormhole, these are what he needed, but how to find a wormhole was the bit of science he didn't know yet, what he did know was a wormhole was way too small for a human to pass through and if that was going to get him to create a portal door, he needed to find one and trap it, then maybe he could enlarge it to do that he needed an 'exotic matter' which is repelled rather than attracted by gravity.

Then it hit him.

The box. He grabbed Summer's hand.

"You two are coming with us" One of them said.

"Wait, don't you want to see a piece of magic, real magic?" Kuzo asked.

Summer was lost.

"Tell me you have a plan"

"Trust me" He said to Summer.

"I could bet a hundred billion dollars my brother is not in this crypt" He said with a smile.

The Danes were speaking in the background but Kuzo ignored.

"What do you mean?" Summer asked.

"Trust me, do what I tell you to do and we'll be home in a bit, I promise" He whispered.

She nodded.

Kuzo set the box down and opened it, like he had predicted, it was empty. The old man stared, this was not the first mysterious thing he had seen that night.

Kuzo put one capsule in the box, closed it and opened it again. then he stood.

"That’s your magic?" The Dane who had spoken English chuckled.

"We'll both step into this box"

"Are you crazy" Summer began to say, almost with a laugh.

"Think of nothing but home, if its too much to ask, just think of me" Kuzo said to her. She nodded.

"You ready?' Kuzo asked, she nodded. Then they both stepped into the box together and in a blink, they were gone.

The old man laughed out so loud and the Danes took to their heels. He picked up the box and walked home with his treasure.