CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Washington, DC

Freya had arrived in Washington that night, she had a lecture the following day at the State University.

It was the usual, protecting the environment, the need for recycling, global warming and the effect of human activities and pollution on the ozone layer.

She had heard of what had happened in Baltimore, the locals had been going on and on about the water getting polluted but somehow the government paid no heed, they were silent, no one was listening, till days ago when something very mysterious happened, people called it a miracle, how suddenly shores that had dead fish covering them had nothing, there was no sight of a single dead fish on the shores or in the water, The water was no longer polluted, in fact it was in its purest state, scientists had come out to say after testing its pH. But there was something else, something the government was hiding, and she intended to find it.

***

Cologne, Germany

The Americans have a weapon, I've seen its power, for Pete's sake, they're lying to us, and they have been lying for God knows how long"

"This doesn’t make sense, they know that agreeing to work together is what holds this treaty together, why the hell will they go behind us and send this thing after us, itjust doesn’t make sense, whatever it is that you saw, I doubt the Americans know about it, that gives us a chance to find it first before they do, before all those other people who saw it start talking"

"Maybe we should deal with the Russians, they have the technology, if the Americans get to them first I dare not know where we stand"

The man who had witnessed everything said.

The Minister of Defense lit a cigar and went over to his desk. He took a long pull and blew out the smoke.

"Maybe you're right, maybe you're not, but we'd better not leave thing to chance, I would brief the President, in the mean time, talk of this to know one, I trust not the others"

***

Kuzo helped his mother lay the table for dinner.

"I miss Geeces, we wouldn’t have to do all this table laying when all you need is a matter-phase transformer to make the food come to me, in my room"

"In Geeces, there is nothing like family time, at least we get to have that here"

"You have a point" Kuzo said.

"So mom, I know this is going to sound weird, but why did we leave Geeces?"

"A very bad person wants to harm us"

"He wants the soul stone doesn’t he?"

Maia frowned. How did her son know about the soul stone, she had never mentioned it to him.

"Dad told me about it"

"Well yes he does, there's still a lot of things I need to figure out that don't make sense"

"Why don't you want to tell me everything, I feel you never told me all that I had to know, you're like 5000 years old you had to have had a life, a family before dad and I, right?, and what really happened in Binju"

"Kuzo…."

"No don't you do that, start saying stuff like some things are better off not known mom, I'm fifteen"

"You say that like you're twenty five"

"Well here, you can liken me to a one hundred and five years old, what I know could qualify me for what they call a PHD at my age and I could probably earn a job at NASA if I even applied, so here, in this time zone, I am not a kid, okay, tell me, I can handle it"

Maia couldn’t hide her attempt to laugh.

"What's so funny"

"No, I never got married, your father was my first love and would be my last and you are the first child I have had in 4,308 years'

"Is that how old you are?" Kuzo had to admit that freaked him out.

"I actually lost count" she giggled.

"Wow and you stayed celibate all that time till you met dad, when four thousand and what?"

"Seriously Kuzo, even in our time its rude to ask your mother such intimate questions"

"Damn,  speaking of self control" He teased with a chuckle.

Maia threw a spoon at him and he swerved, laughing.

"Sit your round visible fleshy rare down right now"

They both giggled and sat down to have supper.

"Your turn to thank the Lord" Maia said to her son.

"One last question, have you met him?"

"Who?" God.

"Every day, he's all around us" Maia answered.

"That is vague mom"

"Your existence is what is about to become vague if you don't quit it" Maia warned.

"Okay okay" Kuzo shut his eyes and said grace and they ended with an Amen and ate.