CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE

Nikolai had both parts of the staff. He had witnessed its power and swore to wield it someday. Now he did except he had no idea how to make it do his bidding.

He could feel the power of the staff once the two parts had come together.

"I'm sorry sire but we cannot fly today, the weather won't permit it"

"Very well then we wait in Scotland, we'll travel in an hour"

Cristov nodded and walked out.

He admired the other part of the staff that he had stolen from the museum still in its glass casing.

"Such a beauty" He said.

***

The Libyan Desert, Egypt

The camels were first to feel the vibrations and refuse to go on. The travelers didn't know why, but it took a second before they too took the cue and turned their camels the other direction, but when they were too slow, they dismounted them and pulled them, urging them to hurry. The sand began to move like a river towards one direction and they saw why, far ahead of them the floor had began to collapse, almost as if a huge door had opened in the middle of the dessert. If they didn't hurry, they were going to sink in the sea of sand with their camels.

They began to call to Allah for help. But for a while there was nothing, then from the distance they saw a figure, at first they thought it was a mirage, each of them seeing something but when someone pointed it out, they realized they were all seeing the same thing so it had to be real.

At first it was an image, a dark image with the wavering sun behind it and as it drew closer, it took the form of a woman.

In a matter of seconds she reached them and spoke their language.

"It's an angel" One of them said .

"I am no angel, do not fear, you will not sink" She said looking directly at them, suddenly they felt themselves in a different place, an oasis with trees and fruits all around the oasis.

They jubilated, but when they turned to thank the woman, she was no longer there.

****

Kuzo had never seen his mother in that state, she lay on the bed, her eyes wide open, she wasn’t blinking but her eyes were glowing. It freaked him out but it was his mother after all.

He went closer to her.

"Mom!"

He tapped her but she didn't wake. He had to admit he was scared, she hadn't prepared him for a moment like this, it was as if her Spirit was wandering somewhere else.

He grabbed his coat, wrote a message and left it under her palm.

"I'd be back, I'm gonna try to reach dad"

He turned to Fiji who lay beside her on the bed, unlike him, Fiji was extremely calm.

"Keep an eye on her Fiji, I'd be right back"

The lines were cut and the telephones were down. It was a storm out there, almost as if a hurricane was cooking up. He had no idea what to do. He grabbed the suit from his mothers drawer and put it on, under his jeans and jacket then he put on his shoes and walked out.

But he knew swimming was suicidal once he saw the whirlpool in the sky, who knew what was happening in the ocean.

The Libyan Desert, Egypt

Maia could sense her son's distress, but she could sense the worlds too. The forces of nature seemed to be at war, the oceans were anything but obedient to the limitations of the creator, the deserts were pouring like magma, volcanoes were bubbling at the earth's crust and the winds were violent.

"What is going on?"

And then there was an eruption from underground, the sands split in a violent explosion as if someone had stepped on a mine, she shielded her eyes but when she looked again. She felt her heart stop and her legs melt.

"No…it can't be" She muttered.

The figure dressed like an ancient warrior said. Her eyes were a fiery red, she looked anything but human, her long tangled hair were like worn out ropes, her feet firm it was evident they knew the course of time, she too had walked it.

"Who the hell has my staff!" She spoke.