CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

Summer panicked once she realized she was in the ring of an amphitheatre. How she got there, she couldn’t even remember. The crowd was so loud she could hardly even hear here own thoughts. She scanned for Kuzo among the other people in the ring, most of them were tied to posts.

She stood, dusted the sand off her clothes….her clothes….they had changed too, she was dressed as they were.

"But how?"

"RELEASE THE LIONS!!!" A voice rang as loud as the devil's and the crowd grew wild.

"Lions, what lions?" She looked round and then immeiately she knew what was going on, she was about to be lion chow.

She spotted a kid tied to one of the posts.

"No no no no……." She ran as fast as she could to the little girl and tried to loosen the ropes.

"Its too late" A woman tied to her said, tears welled down her cheeks but she was smiling.

"Look at me Amara….be strong….we wil be with Jesus soon" The woman said to the child and she nodded.

"Christians, you're Christians?" It finally hit Summer.

She had read of early Christians being fed to lions, some being boiled in oil, others had their skins peeled off. Tortured in the most heinous of ways. But that didn't stop Summer from working the ropes off.

"I'll get you out"

The lions appeared and roared the loudest then began to walk majestically, circling their prey. Waiting for the opportune time.

Summer's heart had never beat so hard, she had never been so close to lions.

"Oh my God…..oh my God….." Her hands were shaking, so were her feet, she held back the urge to pee, that would have been disgraceful but in case she did, she wouldn’t be the first anyway and thankfully there was no Kuzo. Then the lions attacked. Chomping on bodies and tearing tehm apart. Summer felt warm tears as he embraced the child to protect her and to hide her face from the horror going on around her. Then the child's mother screamed and then something hit her so hard, it took a moment to realize one of those cats had dug its claws into her back and slashed it, she screamed in pain, the little child was crying. The screams continued, people running withing the ring calling on God but there was only screams and the smell of flesh and blood. She could fel the lions breath and stinking breath on her neck.

"I won't let you have her, so you better just go through me"

"And do you think it is you we want…..you have no business with us or in this place"

Did the lion just speak to her? She turned, her fear was slowly leaving, maybe it was because the lion had confessed it didn't want her.

"Well good, I'm less meat anyway" She thought.

"How do I understand your language?"

"She speaks" A lioness modelled to the lion's side, perhaps its queen.

"You have met with the mother of all things, the guardian of all creatures"

"You mean Kuzo's mother?" Summer said to the lions.

"What business do you have here?"

"Why do you harm these people?"

"We have been told to"

"But why?"

"So perhaps you will understand the concept of fate and to die being gain"

Funny, so you believe in God?"

"He writes our destinies too, you we cannot touch but this child, perhaps……"

"Perhaps what?, I won't let you eat her" The lioness circled the child and went to her back.

"Stop!" Summer screamed and the crowd finally realized what had happened.

"She speaks to the lions" Someone yelled.

"She's a sorceress, a witch! burn her!"

"See now what you’ve caused"

"You have the mother's gift, the seed of all languages, a very rare gift from her tears, but you are not her offspring" The lioness said.

"Well I don't know why she gave me that seed but it did taste bitter" Summer confessed.

The lioness did something she did not expect. she loosened the roped that bound the child to the ropes.

"If mother sent you to this child, then there's probably more to her that we could possibly imagine" The lion said and then he turned to walk away the lioness followed. The little girl slipped her hand into Summer's hand and Summer looked down at her and smiled.