CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN

Centuries earlier....

The Fall of Binju

Suri watched before her eyes as her people were slaughtered by these pale skinned men. She found it impossible to believe that Binju had been raided. As her chest rose and fell, she could feel the pain, the anger, the loss, all at once.

But where was her father. She had ran to their home to find him but he was nowhere to be found.

She couldn’t believe her sister Mabu had fled.

"Suri, what are you doing here?" It was Han. She rushed to him.

"Oh Han, thank the five keepers you are alive" She hugged him.

"We need to leave" He said.

"No, I need to find my father?"

"He is nowhere to be found, we think they have him" Han said.

"That’s the more reason I'm not gonna leave like Mabu"

"Mabu left?"

"Yes, she abandoned us" Suri said.

Han clenched his teeth but held firmly unto her hand.

"I'm not going anywhere Han, I'll fight till my last breath and if I die today, the high gates will welcome me"

"Not today Suri"

She snatched her hand back.

"Watch me" She grabbed her father's sword and ran out, Han ran after her.

He always knew Suri was impulsive but a very good fighter, but he not only watched her use the sword, but the Sabakai too. Swiftly she killed as many men as possible, fighting side by side with the Kayoka warriors and the Saba warriors, magicians known to have mastered the Sabakai.

Han was lost.

"Could it be Baka was dead and the soul stone was now with her?" He watched on in disbelief. He had never seen her fight like that and she had never said anything about mastering the use of the elements or the forbidden art. Then she lost her sword in battle, in attempt to get it, she came face to face with one of the raiders.

"You vermin!, we will take you and you will reveal to us what magic this is" He smiled, his foot on her chest as she lay on the ground.

"It’s the last thing you will ever do" She said in his tongue to his surprise and twisted his foot. He screamed in pain and fell, then she hopped unto him.

"Who are you people and what do you want from us?"

"Your magic"

"How did you get in here?" He only grinned.

She grabbed her sword and forced him on his feet.

"Take me to your commander" She commanded.

"Fine" She led the way but when she turned to Han, he wasn’t following, he only just watched.

"Come on Han"

"I can't, I'm sorry" He said.

She frowned, what do you mean?

"You have the soul stone, how?, it only possesses Kayoka warriors"

"What?" Suri was lost.

"That means Baka is dead"

"No it can't be"

"I see what this is, young love" The captive soldier grinned.

"Shut up or I drive this sword down your throat" Suri took charge.

"You were right Han, your people are pretty crude" The soldier said and Suri felt her heart cringe. Tears welled up in her eyes as the reality of it all hit her. She took a moment to process the truth

"You did this?, you brought them here?" Tears welling up in her eyes.
"How could you, this was our home!' she screamed in anger.

"It wasn’t supposed to be like this, you and I would have been safe, it was part of the deal" Han explained.

"What about my father you ass" She screamed as the tears fell. Throwing her captive to the floor and rushing for her bethrothed.

"I trusted you, we all trusted you, my father did and you betrayed us?"

"Listen, you have the soul stone, that’s alright, we can get away, imagine all the things we could do with it, the places we could go, what we could build, this world could be ours"

Suri was shocked. 

"I will kill you even if it’s the last thing I do" She attacked him with his sword but as a Kayoka warrior and in her moment of weakness, he whistled a sound with his whistle and she fell into a deep sleep.

***

Suri woke up when she felt her chest burn, at first she thought someone had branded something unto her skin with a hot metal, the way the Kayoka warriors branded themselves during their initiation rites but she was wrong, she was tied up on a stake with a pile of wood at her feet.

She tried to break free from the chords but they were thick. The men around her laughed, she looked all around her, there was not a single Binjun in sight. All of them were dead. She saw the body of Blinka her best friend next to her husband Sabo, she was with child.

Suri wept. Han was nowhere in sight. She wanted to rip off his flesh so badly. And then he showed up. It was his presence that gave her the strength she needed. She began to pull the ropes as hard as she could, she could feel the ropes cut into her wrist but she could care less. She pulled…..till the wood that held the ropes began to fall in, she continued to pull and that was where the men were frightened.

Someone shot an arrow at her, it pierced through her side and she could feel the arrow head exit through her back, she screamed but that didn't stop her. The wood came off, flying in the direction of the men as she fell to her feet. Then she stood as the winds picked up.

You will burn. Her eyes turned yellow with the fire in her soul just as her staff appeared in her hand. She stood and slammed it hard on the ground with her loudest scream of anguish and the floor cracked, causing a great earthquake. The ground shook but she stood firm. Han fled into the trees.

"What is this?" Their commander said.

"This is your graveyard!" She hit the floor again water gushed out from the crevices in the floor as Binju fell apart. Suri grieved in pain, falling to her knees holding unto the staff.

"Is this what I was born for, to bury my own people, my home?, is this what I was born for: She screamed.

And then she felt a hand on her shoulder, she looked up. It was her father.

"Find your sister Suri, live" He said and he was gone.

Her sister…….yes, she would live, only for two things, to kill Han and to make her sister suffer.