CHAPTER FOUR

Present times

Geeces.

Maiandra whose Binju name was Mabu, cooked supper while it poured outside, she fanned the aroma into her nostrils to make sure the spices were crushed enough, then she added it to the steaming meat.

"Looks like daddy's home" She announced and Fiji rushed to the door even before Essien walked in.

"Hey you" Essien greeted his barking dog who was hopping happily, he picked it up and appeared in the kitchen where his wife was making dinner.

"Hey honey" He kissed her.

"Welcome home"

Kuzo isn't home yet, I'm getting worried.

"It's Kuzo, he has his ways, he'd be home" Essien consoled her.

"Honey there's something wrong, I can feel it"

"Is it your motherly instinct or it's that other thing you do on a regular basis, your psychic nature kicking in" He teased.

"I'm serious Essien"

At that moment the door banged in loudly, and Kuzo walked past them and didn't say a word.

His parents looked into each other's faces.

"I told you, go check on him" Maiandra said to her husband.

He nodded and went after his son. He knocked at the door to his room but Kuzo said nothing.

"Coming in" Essien announced before he walked in. His son was laying on his bed still in his school clothes and throwing a basketball into the air and catching it.

"Everything okay?" Essien said.

"Why is mom such a liar?"

"Excuse me?" Essien wasn’t sure he had heard right.

"She lies about everything, have you ever wondered how she lost her sight but can see everything, I know you'd say her senses have been heightened but hers is extreme she is obviously hiding stuff from us.

"Where is all this coming from?"

"That story about the Binju clan and their ancient ways and magical things, it's all a lie isn't it, none of those things are real, are they, there are no records about them ever existing nowhere, no discoveries, nothing, how?"

Essien sighed.

"Your mother is a mystery yes, but even if she is hiding anything, it is to protect you and me, she loves you and she is your mother, you should respect her and not go about saying stuff or thinking stuff like that"

"How did she lose her sight, she tells me she was born with it but she knows stuff that people born blind shouldn’t know" Kuzo screamed.

"She can hear you"

"She can hear me even if I communicated through telepathy, how is that even human" He said sarcastically but quite loud.

"Kuzo I know you're mad…."
"No I'm not mad I just want her to tell the truth" He said.

"Who is she, where does she come from, she never talks about her family, nothing, is she a criminal?"

"Kuzo!,

"I need to know" He screamed.

Suddenly the door flew open and in the doorway was his mother, she was raging and the winds took pace.

"Maia, stay calm……

"Am I a criminal, is that what you asked?" She said with rage in her voice.

"Maia…." Essien stood and walked to his wife. But the pace at which her chest was rising and falling told him not to get close.

"Maia stay calm please, he's just a boy….."

"A spoilt brat who doesn’t know his limits, who thinks it's okay to call his mother a liar or a criminal"

Kuzo was scared he didn't know what was going to happen next, he had never seen his mother so mad. He jumped on top of his bed.

"Kuzo apologize now" Essien advised.

But Kuzo was too scared to even speak, his lips quivered as his mother stretched out her hand, her eyes began to glow like torches had been switched on in her head…..the winds grew stronger and things began to rise.

"Kuzo now!"

"I'm sorry!, I'm sorry, I didn't mean that….any of that"

"Yes you did…and you want the truth?, I'll show you the truth and It'll teach you a lesson you would never forget" Her feet lifted off the ground and a twine began to grow out of her hand till it became a long whip.

"Maia!" It was that scream that made her snap back to reality, she had just viewed one of the million possibilities that could happen if she allowed herself to walk into her son's room where he and her husband were having a conversation. She opened her eyes as she listened from the kitchen. A tear streamed down her face.

"I wish I could tell you…I really wish I could"