Bystander // Joey Richter & Reader

A/N
Y'all really seemed to like the Joey one shot I did from a fan POV so I'm gonna try that again! Also this was a request from Lonikje that I got back in October and I'm finally getting it done 😅
I'm really sorry this took so long. I haven't developed a good system to keep track of my requests yet.
I hope you enjoy!

((I also thought that I published this a month ago but I apparently didn't ?? Idk man))

TW///abuse
—————

"Can we please not do this now?" I kept my voice low and refused to meet his gaze. I could feel his eyes against my skin, but my head stayed focused straight on ahead. We walked through the crowds in the mall and no one payed us any mind.

"Why not? You're the one who decided to get a smart mouth with me!" Nathan exclaimed. His voice was like bricks thrown through a window. "I can't believe you."

Part of me couldn't wait to get home, but the other part was terrified of the idea. It was safer to stay at the mall; To stay in public. People could see us here. He had to be on his best behavior.

"Are you even fucking listening to me?" He pulled my arm hard. I tried my best not to react. My body turned to face him.

"Yeah, I am."

"Tell me what I just said!" His face was inching closer, daring me to get it wrong.

"I ruin everything and need to watch my mouth."

He rolled his eyes and released his grip. I was thankful as I could feel the blood pulse through my arm again. "If you ever embarrass me like that again, you're fucking dead." He kept his threats quiet. I knew that if we had privacy he would've hit me. He wanted to. I could see it in his eyes and feel it in his voice.

"Okay. I'm sorry."

"Damn right."

I could feel tears threatening to spill. That was my worst nightmare. If I let myself go, he would lose it. I fought it back and casually wiped them away before they got the chance to fall.

It felt like people were beginning to notice us. Nathan didn't seem to see. He kept on repeating the same insults and threats in a hushed grumble. I eyed our surroundings. I prayed someone would save me.

"Fucking bitch! This is the last time I'm gonna lecture you. Next time, it's over." He didn't mean he would break up with me. I would never be that lucky.

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom," I said. My voice wavered.

"Fine. Make it quick so we can go." He sat down on a nearby bench.

My legs felt weak beneath me as I walked the few yards to the hallway. The path curved so I was out of his sight. I was almost to the door when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I flinched and turned quickly. But it wasn't my boyfriend. It was some other man. He had long brown hair and gentle brown eyes. I recognized him.

"Hi. Are you alright?"

"What? I'm fine. Why?"

He rubbed the back of his neck nervously. "Well, I saw you with that guy and it looked like you were a bit scared of him. I just wanted to make sure everything was okay. Do you want me to call someone? Do you need to get away from him?"

I just stared at him with a clenched jaw. I didn't know what to say. "I'm alright," I reiterated. "Excuse me."

I didn't go to the bathroom. I didn't really have to. I made my way back to my boyfriend. He greeted me with a sloppy kiss. His arms gripped my waist tight. I pulled back but he persisted. I always hated PDA. Well, I hated it with him. He, on the other hand, loved it. He wanted to show me off.

When he finally stopped, his smile was gone. "Do you have money for gas?"

I looked at him confused. "Uh, I don't know. I don't have any cash to give you right now."

He looked angry. It didn't take much to bring that anger back. "You're fucking useless!" His voice was loud. Louder than it should've been. "First that shit in the store and now this! Why the hell do I put up with this. I could be with any other girl, but I stick with you."

I didn't know how to respond. My voice was gone. Nothing was coming out no matter how hard I tried to form a response.

"Sir?" I turned to look at who had approached us. It was him again.

"What the hell do you want?" I watched him watch me. "Kitten, do you know this guy?" The nickname made me feel sick to my stomach. I nodded slowly.

"Uh, I couldn't help but notice the way you've been talking to this woman and it's extremely disrespectful and inappropriate. She's obviously terrified of you." I'd never seen anyone talk to Nathan that way. I wanted to cry. I wanted to disappear.

"She is not scared of me! I don't know who the fuck you think you are, but you don't know anything about us or our relationship. So, if you'll excuse us, we'd like to go home."

His hand gripped mine tight and began to pull me away. I fought back to stand my ground. My hand slipped from his grasp. The man took a step to be between Nathan and me.

"You're kidding me, right? You know if you fucking leave me right now that this is it. I'm never coming back for you. We're through!"

"Good." It was all I could muster and it took all I had to say that one word. He kicked a nearby chair over on his way out. He shouted curses the entire time. I watched as he disappeared from view. "Holy shit," I sighed. I could feel the tears coming again, but this time I didn't stop them. They were tears of joy. I was free.

"Hey, it's okay. Are you alright?" The man helped me to sit down on one of the benches. He sat next to me and carefully held one of my hands in his. He was so much gentler than Nathan.

"Thank you, Joey," I finally said. I could feel the cries subside and wiped my eyes.

"Wait, did you just call me Joey? Do we know each other?"

I chuckled and looked back at him. "Uh, no we don't. But I know who you are. I actually watch your stuff. I've been watching Starkid since I was in college."

A look of disbelief was all over his features. "Woah." He scoffed and looked down. "What are the odds."

"Yeah. It is a bit crazy," I agreed.

"Well, you already know me. What's your name?"

"I'm (y/n). Really, I can't thank you enough."

"It was nothing! Are you gonna be okay? Like, do you live with him? Do you need to get things from his place? Is he going to come looking for you?" His questions were full of genuine concern.

I thought for a moment. "I don't have any answers right now," I said, sighing. "I really have no idea what's going to happen. I never thought I'd ever get out of that."

He frowned at that. "That's so horrible. How long have you guys been together?" I shuttered at the thought. "Unless you aren't comfortable telling me or you aren't ready to talk about it."

I looked around us. "I don't really want to right now and right here. I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment."

"I understand." He began looking around us. There were a few people watching us intently. They had seen the entire meltdown and confrontation. I felt like I was gonna be sick from all of the attention and judgement. "Do you want to go somewhere and talk? We don't have to talk about him. We can just get to know each other a bit and you can talk about it whenever you're more comfortable."

"I'd like that. Thank you, Joey."

He smiled again when I said his name. "Great."