First Snow // Darren Criss & Reader

A/N

We're getting a lot of snow here at my campus so it sort of inspired this one. Enjoy!

----------

"Do you really think we're gonna get snow tonight?" I asked, looking out the window dreamily.

"Yeah, probably," Darren said. "They're predicting a couple inches. They might have to cancel classes tomorrow."

"Wow."

"Why are you so excited about the weather?"

"I've never seen snow before," I admitted. I turned to face Darren. His mouth was hanging open. I laughed. "What?"

"You've never seen snow? Ever?"

"Nope. We don't really ever get super cold weather in my hometown."

"That's insane!" I laughed at how appalled he was. I checked the weather on my phone for the millionth time that day. "What time does it say it's going to start?"

"Uh, it says around midnight. Why?" Darren got a suspicious smile on his face. "What are you thinking?"

"Do you wanna watch it start?" I felt myself blush.

I thought about it. It was 8:30 pm. Did I want to be with Darren for a couple of hours and experience my first snow with him? Hell yes.

"Sure!"

He jumped up from the common room couch. "Okay! Get dressed in warm clothes and meet me back here in 10 minutes." He was quickly walking away.

"Wait!" I called back after him. "Where are we going?"

"You'll see!"

----

Darren had driven us to a nearby park.  He brought a blanket and we laid it out on top of a picnic table. It was now 11:30 pm. We were laying on top of it looking up at the sky. He was playing music quietly through his phone as we talked. 

Darren and I had become friends only a few months ago. I transferred to UMich during the spring of last year. He was the first friend I made here and we've gotten pretty close. Tonight though, I was learning so much more about him. This was our first time having a really deep conversation. I loved talking to him.

Our convo died down and Darren began quietly singing along to one of the songs. I had never heard it before but it was really pretty. His voice was so smooth. I let my eyes close.

Suddenly, I felt something cold and wet land on my nose. Then, another on my cheek. I opened my eyes to see snowflakes gently falling down towards me. I shot up quickly.

"It's happening!"

Darren laughed next to me. I looked down at him. He sat up with me and looked around. The snow began falling harder and harder. He got off of the table and walked a few feet ahead of me. His head fell back as he opened his mouth to catch snowflakes.

"Come on, (y/n)! What's the point of staying out this late to see your first snow if you aren't gonna have any fun?" He held his arms out and looked back up at the sky. I laughed before walking towards him.

It was unbelievable. I had always seen snow in movies but I never knew how it would feel to actually be in it. I watched as white dotted Darren's dark hair. His cheeks and nose were rosy from the cold. The late night was incredibly bright from the streetlights reflecting off of the snow.

In just a couple minutes, the cold was getting worse. The wind started to pick up. Darren must've noticed cause he took a step closer to me.

"You look like you're freezing," he said.

"It's pretty cold." I felt one of his hands grab mine. Then he was holding both. I blushed and let out a nervous giggle.

"Does this help?"

"Uh, yeah, a little," I said. He smiled wider. "But it's still freezing out here."

He laughed before pulling me into a hug. It was much warmer against his chest. "Are you ready to go back?"

"Y-yeah, I think so," I said. He grabbed the blanket from the table and led the way back to his car. He started it so it could heat up. I sat inside as he cleaned the fresh powder from the windows. I turned on the radio softly.  By the time he was done, the car was nice and warm. He took a moment to savor the heat. "Thanks for doing this."

"Of course! I had a really good time."

"So did I."

My eyes were glued on our surroundings on the drive back to campus. Everything looked much calmer. We were the only ones on the road.

We walked to our building together. We said our goodbyes in the lobby. He pulled me into another hug. His chin was the perfect height to rest on the top of my head.

"Would you wanna get lunch with me tomorrow?"

"Sure," I replied, casually.

He pulled away a bit so we were looking at each other. "I mean, like, as a date."

"I know."