Diner // Dylan Saunders & Reader

A/N
An update ?? From me??
—————

"I ordered this medium rare," the man said. He was leaning towards me with a glare. The smell of booze was sickening. "Didn't I?"

"Yes sir, you did."

"Does this look fucking medium rare to you?" He shoved the plate of food towards me. I looked down at the steak.

"No, it doesn't." I hated the way my voice wavered. Creeps like him didn't deserve the satisfaction they got from hearing me afraid.

"Damn right, it doesn't. Take this shit back." He pushed the plate further. It almost fell over the counter but I caught it. Once my back was to the man, I let out a shaky breath. I said something to the cook and he started on making a new one. "Damn bitches not knowing how to cook a steak."

"I'm not the one who made it," I said. He narrowed his eyes at me.

"Was someone talking to you?" I swallowed hard. My hands were nearly shaking. He propped himself up onto his arms on the counter. I took a step back, making him lean ever farther forward.

"Leave her alone," a new voice said. I looked to the guy who said it. He was sitting a few seats down at the counter. The man turned to look at him.

"Did you say something, boy?"

"Yeah. I said leave her alone. She didn't do anything and it was a simple mistake. Calm down."

"Calm down?" The man slammed down his fist, causing me to flinch. "You wanna take this outside?"

"I'm fine. Maybe you should go though." The kind guy who was defending me stood up. As he walked closer to the drunk, his brave facade fell. This man towered over him by a good few inches. He didn't look menacing or particularly threatening in any way, but the older man was intimidated.

The drunk gave in and walked out without paying his bill. I let out a sigh of relief and tried to calm myself down.

"Are you alright?" the nice guy asked. I nodded weakly. "I'll cover his bill."

"You don't have to do that."

"Someone's gotta do it."

"Thank you," I paused.

"Dylan."

"Thank you, Dylan."

"You're welcome, (y/n)." He looked back up at me from my name tag. His soft smile helped my nerves ultimately subside. "I'm sorry you have to deal with drunks like that."

"It's alright. I'm used to it by now."

"That isn't something you should have to be used to." The man sat back down at his food. He poked around his eggs with his fork.

"It's part of the job." I walked to where he was. "More coffee?" He gave me a light nod. I picked up the pot and topped off his mug. His smile made my heart flutter again.

"So, did you always want to be a waitress?"

I sighed. "No, not really." I tucked a few strands of hair behind my ear that had fallen from my ponytail. "I'm working here to help pay for my college classes."

"What's your major?"

"You're gonna think it's silly," I said, looking away.

"I doubt that."

"Fine. I'm majoring in music." I shut my eyes, expecting to receive a laugh and a lecture about wasting my time and money. When none of that happened, I let myself look at him. He had an amused grin. "You don't think it's stupid?"

"I've done musical theater for most of my life, including in college. I'm currently in rehearsals for a new musical that's about Batman. It's not stupid." I let out a relived giggle. It was so nice to finally meet someone that seemed to be a lot like me.

We talked for a while about music and shows. Dylan was really funny guy. He had this way about him that just made me feel welcome. I checked the time and, for once, I was kind of upset that my shift was over.

"I gotta get going," I said. "I have a 9 am tomorrow." I went to the front to collect my tips.

"I should probably head out, too." Dylan's walked to the register and gave me both of the bills with his credit card. I made the transaction and gave him his receipt to sign. I went ahead and took of my apron while he did.

"It was nice talking to you. Maybe I'll see you in here some other time."

"Maybe," he said. He show me another smile before turning to leave.

I picked up his receipt and laughed. He had written his phone number on the back. I folded the paper neatly and slid it into my pocket.