Pretend (pt.1) // Dylan Saunders & Reader

A/N
Shoutout to Starship-Ranger-Taz yet again for the recommendation! I hope this is to your liking :))

———————

"Dylan!" I called as I walked into our apartment.

Dylan and I met in College. It didn't take long for us to become best friends. We were practically inseparable. We started sharing an apartment our senior year. Now, we are both in our mid twenties and trying our best to be adults.

"What's up, (y/n)," Dylan asked, walking out of his bedroom. I set my purse down on the kitchen counter and sighed.

"Can you do me a huge favor?" I asked. Dylan immediately looked suspicious.

"What kind of favor?"

"It's not something terrible! I just need help with a little fib."

"You want me to help you lie?" He scoffed and sat down on the couch. I ran to join him.

"Not exactly," I said. "My Mom called me earlier. She was badgering me about my personal life, like usual, and she wouldn't stop asking if I had a boyfriend. So, I may have said yes."

"Oh no." Dylan could tell what I was about to ask him to do.

"And she may have invited me and my nonexistent boyfriend over for dinner this weekend. And I may have said yes to that too." I winced. I really was in deep. "I need you to go to this dinner with me and pretend to be my boyfriend."

"(Y/n)-"

"Please, Dylan!" I begged, cutting him off. "I wouldn't ask you to do this if it wasn't important to me. After this I think my mom might finally get off my case."

Dylan sighed. He ran a hand through his hair and scratched his neck. "What's in it for me?" I smiled at his admittance to help me.

"Anything you want!"

We set into planning everything out. We came up with a fake story of how we met. We picked out what we were gonna wear. We even came up with cheesy nicknames for each other.

————

The day of the dinner came too quickly. I was worried that Dylan wasn't going to follow through. I was also worried that my mom would see through us and know that we were faking it.

"We have to go now," Dylan called from the living room. I checked my makeup one last time in the mirror. I looked good enough. I walked out to meet Dylan. He looked very handsome. He was wearing a nice button down shirt with a white T-shirt under it. The red patches matched the shade of my dress. I noticed the way he looked at me and it made me smile.

"Let's hit the road!" I said. Dylan handled the hour long drive to my parents house. We listened to music the entire way to calm us down. As I sang along, I forgot about what we were going to be doing. It was like we were hanging out like normal.

When we got there, though, my worry came back in full force. I knew that Dylan was a great actor. We'd probably pull it off well. But I was still nervous. Maybe it was less of me being worried that my parents would know we were lying and more of me being worried that I would actually like dating Dylan.

I'd been friends with Dylan for a long time. I'd gone through multiple phases of liking him. I always pushed those thoughts away though. I wasn't going to ruin our perfect friendship. I would never want to risk that.

Dylan opened my door for me and took my hand to help me out of the car. He kept my hand in his as we walked up to the front door. It felt nice. He gave me a reassuring squeeze before ringing the doorbell. When my mom opened the door, she had a wide smile on her face.