Great Minds // Darren Criss & Brian Holden

This ship was requested by OhHelloFandoms123 ! Thanks so much and I hope this is to your liking :))

——————

Darren had always been the one making the first moves in the relationship. He was the one who worked up the nerve to ask Brian out. He went in for their first kiss. He was the first to say I love you. He even was the one who asked Brian to move in with him.

But Brian wasn't going to let that happen again. After dating for 2 and a half years, Brian knew that he was head over heels in love with Darren. They had seen each other at their worst. Through thick and thin, one couldn't stand being without the other. So he decided to make a new first for them and make sure they would always be together.

-

"Why can't you just tell me where we're going?" Darren whined from the passenger seat. He stuck out his bottom lip like a child, hoping that it would convince Brian to give something up.

"Because then it wouldn't be surprise," the other man said, laughing. "It's not that much farther." Darren sighed and decided he couldn't stand the silence anymore. He turned on the radio. A Christmas station was turned on. He turned the tune up louder and began singing along. Brian could've melted away into his seat as Darren's beautiful voice filled the space.

I'll be home for Christmas
You can plan on me
Please have snow and mistletoe
And presents on the tree
Christmas Eve will find me
Where the love light gleams
I'll be home for Christmas
If only in my dreams

Brian joined Darren in singing for the second verse. The two smiled like fools as they duetted to the pretty song. It was snowing outside around them. It felt like some cheesy movie moment. Both of them loved it.

As they pulled up to the surprise location, Darren giggled at what was before them. There was a huge sign that read "Welcome to the North Pole!" in large red letters. It was some gimmicky little place where you could play games and ice skate. It was perfect.

Brian parked and the two got out of the car. Their hands slipped together as they walked to the ticket booth. The icy cold bit at them, but they had dressed for the weather. Brian paid for the two of them and they went off toward the activities.

"So, what do you wanna do first?" Brian asked. They surveyed a list of all of the options. When they reached the bottom option, Darren's face lit up.

"THEY HAVE A PETTING ZOO!" he exclaimed. Brian looked at his boyfriend with the most loving and surprised eyes. Darren's excitement had caught him off guard. Not saying a word, he started walking towards the barn that had the animals in it.

When they walked in, Darren let go of Brian's hand. He ran towards a pen that had baby goats in it. He bent down to be on their level. Brian just watched from a far. He became more aware of the box in his pocket and he felt even better about his decision. He was going to do this.

Brian stepped to be next to Darren. The only other people in the petting zoo area were a worker and a few kids with their parents. Darren was trying to communicate with the animals, causing the other people to stare.

After Darren had pet every single animal that was there, they decided to see what else this place had to offer. They played some games, ice skated, joined a group of carolers, and got some cute pictures in a photo booth. Darren had even convinced Brian to drop down to the ground and make snow angels. They decided what they really needed after that was some hot chocolate.

The refreshments area had an entire hot chocolate bar set up. It was incredible. Brian topped his with marshmallows, while Darren kept putting mini candy canes in his before topping it with whipped cream. With their drinks in hand, they walked along a path through a lightly wooded area. It was filled with different twinkling lights. Christmas music was playing softly in the background.

"This is amazing," Darren gushed, taking in everything around them. They took their time, their feet crunching against the snow. Brian nodded in agreement before taking a sip of his drink. "Thank you for taking me here."

"Of course!" Brian placed a kiss on Darren's rosy cheek. "I'm glad you had fun."

"How could I not? This place is amazing! I can't believe I've never been here. I've never even heard of it before!"

"Yeah my cousin was taking about it at Thanksgiving and I was excited to check it out." The two men tossed their empty paper cups into a nearby trash can. Their hands quickly were back together.

"Aw! I'm glad you decided to do it with me," Darren said, smiling at his boyfriend.

"Who else would I come here with?" Brian laughed. The walk was getting close to it's end. Darren's hand was warm around Brian's.

"I love you so much, Brian Holden."

"I love you more, Darren."

"I don't think that possible," Darren warned. His face suddenly seemed serious. "I love you more than you could ever know. I don't want you to ever forget that."

"I could never forget that." Brian squeezed Darren's hand tighter. "I will never let that happen." Darren just stared at Brian with that wonderful smile of his for a while. He looked like he was considering something.

"Would you ever wanna get married?" The question was abrupt and Brian blinked in confusion. Was Darren beating him to this as well? "To me. Would you wanna marry me?"

Brian's hand slipped into his pocket. "Well, as it happens." Darren looked confused. He looked down at the box that Brian was now holding in his hand. Darren covered his mouth with his own hands. "Yeah, I would." Brian fell onto one knee and opened the small box. Darren was smiling like a giddy child on Christmas Day. "Darren Criss, being with you is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I don't ever want this to end. Will you marry me?"

Darren nodded. A choked up, "yes," escaped his lips. His eyes had tears that were threatening to spill as he looked down at the love of his life. Brian carefully slipped the ring onto Darren's finger with shaking hands. He rose to his feet and wrapped his arms around his boyfriend. Their lips crashed to together in the sweetest kiss. So much happiness exploded from their little moment.

When they separated, they looked at each other. "How did I end up with a guy like you?" Darren asked, taking in his fiancé. Snow was falling onto his brown hair and his cheeks were flushed red.

"I guess you just got lucky," Brian replied. He gave Darren a kiss before continuing their walk.

They got to their car and started the drive towards their apartment. Darren was texting all of his family and friends to tell them the news. The way he was smiling down at his phone made Brian's heart beat a mile a minute. He knew that this was a decision he would never regret.

————
A/N
I hope you guys liked this one!

I have a few quick questions for you readers so I hope you don't mind. It'll really help me :))

Question 1:
Do you prefer imagine when they use the pronouns I/me or you ? I always prefer the I/me because I find it easier to insert myself into them ((that's why that's how I write them)) but I just wanted to see if you guys preferred it the other way.

Question 2:
Did you like this same-sex one shot? I've never thought to write any same-sex starkid one shots before, but I don't mind it at all! If you guys aren't interested in that sort of thing it's cool. But: would you want to see some "female starkid & female reader" and "male starkid & male reader" stuff ? If so please let me know !

Thanks so much for reading and answering. As always, feel free to comment any ideas you have for ships you wanna see, people you want oneshots about to be "& reader", or just prompts in general