The Bet // Darren Criss & Reader

I looked around carelessly until something caught my eye. Darren Criss, the hottest guy in school, was sitting with his guitar across the field. I sat with my chin on my arm watching as his curly hair swayed in the gentle breeze. Suddenly, my arm collapsed under me and I heard snickering.

"Gawk much, (Y/L/N)?" I just rolled my eyes and tried to ignore Karen. "He'd never like you. You're a freak and he's Darren Criss."

"Whatever, Karen."

"I bet you can't even talk to him!"

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah! I bet you $20 you won't." I thought for moment.

"Deal." I took a deep breath and shot Karen a glare before walking down from the bleachers. I went through everything I could possibly say as I walked around the track to get to where Darren was. Luckily, since Darren was alone, no one else would know what actually happened if I did mess up terribly. I reached the table he was at and he looked up at me.

"Hey. (Y/N), right?" He was nicer than I had expected him to be.

"Yea!" I cursed herself silently for sounding so enthusiastic. "What's up?"

"Nothing much. Just jamming. I'm actually writing a new song. Do you wanna hear it?" I nodded and took a seat on the picnic table. He started strumming a catchy tune and I smiled. He was watching the strings intently, so he wouldn't mess up, glancing at me every once in a while to see if I liked it. He began to sing and I melted. I had imagined his voice being different while singing. It was better than I thought it would be.

"So, that's what I have so far," Darren said, setting his guitar against the table. "What did you think?"

"It was great!" Darren just laughed.

"You can be honest, (Y/N)."

"I am!"

"Well, thanks." We sat for a moment not saying anything and I felt stupid for walking over to him without a purpose. "Are you doing anything tonight?"

"What?"

"There's this party tonight that I was gonna ditch so I'm free tonight. Would you wanna see a movie or something?"

"Um, yea. Sure! I mean, I don't have any plans either," I mumbled out in one breath.

"Great. Here I'll give you my number and then you can text me so we can pick a time." He put his number into my phone before grabbing his guitar and walking back to the school. I walked, awestruck, back to where Karen was.

"How'd it go?"

"We're going to the movies tonight." I smiled and sat down. Karen scowled at me. "I believe you owe me $20."

"Whatever, freak," Karen scoffed, placing a rumpled bill into my hand before walking away.

I made $20 and I'm going to the movies with my crush. I should make bets more often.