PROLOGUE

BOZIE

©2019
All rights reserved.

Please be informed that this is a work of pure fiction, any similarities to events or  persons are entirely coincidental.
The basic foundations of this book may seem to be scientific but cannot be proven factual.

PROLOGUE

699 AD

Diary of a binjun

A child wandered into the Binju today, she was nothing like us, and we were nothing like her. Her skin was like the polished black stones we find in the Vusagi lake, black as the roots of the Laiva plant. The elders talked about people with different tones to their skin. The child, she told us she and her grandfather were picking berries and herbs along the Zanzibar river and somehow they discovered the Binju. We don't know how true that is, for the Binju is a place that you don't just walk into. No one from the outside world has ever discovered the Binju. We thought they were special, but others thought they were a bad omen. The Kayoka found them both, they brought them to us and we treated them like guests, for the first time, someone spat out Blinka's horrid worm porridge, we all had a good laugh when the colored child told her it tasted somewhere between the bark of a 'bonzoo' tree and diseased urine.

Even Kozo the 'Kajun', sort of like our village chief had a good laugh and he hardly laughs. We named the black child Mabu, which means 'misfit' in our language and her grandfather Zubaku, which means 'man of many ways'. Her grandfather showed us new things, new herbs, he soon became one of our best medicine men who healed with herbs, he was the first to teach us that illnesses could be cured with leaves and saliva. The way he mixed his medicines was new to us but we soon came to love him when he saved the son of the village chief from a very deadly illness. Our ways were entirely different, we trusted the elements and they trusted the gifts that the elements gave us. Although we were advanced in many ways, we lived away from civilization.

Mabu and her grandfather Zubaku soon became one of us, and I soon became like a big sister to Mabu. She loved the elements but there was a way that was forbidden in the Binju, they called it "The Sabakai" it was only the elders and a few select who knew the ways of the Sabakai, it was a very ancient form of magic, we used it to protect the soul stone' a very evil source of power that ate the souls of men and preserved life. The one it chose to wield it had to subject his life to it for eternity till it chose someone else, and that was the thing with the soul stone, when it found an ounce of bitterness or darkness in you, it consumed it….it consumed you.

The soul stone only chose elders who were once Kayoka and understood the magic properties of the Binju tree. All these people were noble men but somehow they allowed power to consume them, the soul stone took their souls, and now it rests with the high priest Baka. He was also my father.

Today, I'm going to show Mabu the cave of the ancestors. Oh I happen to be her teacher too. Should be fun.