|58|~ The Time Of My Life~

Start from the beginning

Nicklaus places his finger underneath my chin and lifts it up. "Nothing is wrong with you, firecracker," he assures me. "You are going through what we vampires call a transition. At times, you will act a little overdramatic, like now, and bipolar."

Dramatic? Bipolar? He has a f*cking nerve.

"Why would I be going through some freaky leech transition?" I yell, throwing my hands up in the air. I make my way back to the sofa and take a seat.

Urgh! He is ridiculous. I hate when he talks in circles.

Nicklaus takes a seat beside me. Unexpectedly, he pulls me closer to him and then places me down onto his lap. But I'm the bipolar one? He just insulted me, and now he wants to cuddle within three seconds?

"Your inner monster is attempting to find its way," he finally explains.

Huh?

Before I can say anything, he continues, "There is a darker part that is growing inside you. It started when we first bonded, sort of like how an embryo is implanted in your uterus."

"What? In my uterus? I'm not carrying your baby! I mean, is that even possible to carry a vampire baby?"

Nicklaus bites down on his lips. I can tell he is trying his hardest not to laugh. There is some amusement and mischief hidden in the depth of his eyes.

"It is highly possible for you to produce me an heir," he whispers dangerously close to my ear. "And one day you shall."

My heart stops beating altogether at his words.

"When we do have our child and trust me we will, our child will be the spitting image of its mother. He or she will be half-human and half‑vampire just like its mother," he tells me.

I take a moment to process his sweet words. Then, out of nowhere, they hit me hard.

Half-human and half-vampire just like . . . OMG!

I give him a wide-eyed look and gasp. "Wait! Is that what the doctor thinks I am? Half-vampire, half-human that's not possible."

"That is also very much possible, firecracker," he casually states, not once breaking eye contact. "A child created from a human and a vampire is called a dhampir."

"Dhampir," I repeat.

"Yes, a dhampir," he confirms, as he takes my hand in his.

"How can I be that? My parents were breeders . . . I think," I say to him. I lower my head, becoming lost in my own thought. Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't know who my parents are.

"Claire . . ."

No human born after the Awakening does, with the exception of Jadis. Her story is different. She is special.

"Claire . . ."

F*ck, the vampires really screwed us up. I'm screwed up. I don't even know my own species. What the hell is wrong with me?

"Firecracker, talk to me?" says Nicklaus, placing his finger underneath my chin. "Let me know what you're thinking. I know it's a lot to take in," he admits.

I sigh deeply. "You think."

Nicklaus releases a frustrated sigh of his own as he removes his finger. I know I'm being difficult, but who can blame me?

"I'm confused," I admit. "I just don't understand which of my parents is supposed to be a vampire? I just don't understand what this means. But I guess it is expected, considering the fact that I don't even know who my parents are."